Hi everyone, let's have fun and share :) Tell me which phone is the best of 2014 and why?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

wally_west
Ambassador

Based on personal opinion Smiley Wink

v9
Rockstar

Welcome Back @Wally_West: Now promoted to Ambassador. I congratulate him for it-Hu-huu!

Regarding to your question is an easy one dwo. Oops! Which one is I forgot..well is not my favorite, but the worldwide, phone Winner is the iPhone 6 - NNOoo Wayyy.!!

The GOOD: The iPhone 6-Delivers a spacious 4.7 inch Screen-Improved wireless speeds-Better camera autofocus and improved, storage capacity to 128 GB - iOS8..remains at top with excellent apps & Apple Pay is a smooth secure System.

The BAD: Battery life is not much better-than iPhone 5s. On top of that..No wireless charging.

The Bottom Line: The iPhone 6 - Is an awesome Phone except its average battery life. It's thinner and faster, with spacious Screen & the smoothest payment system. It's the best overall phone of 2014. Stay tuned!  @v9

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Community Power User
Community Power User

Like the best camera, the best phone is the one you have in your pocket. i have found the interconnectiveness of the iPhone with other Apple devices to have great value for me. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@v9and @NFtoBC  both make great points.

I'm very fond of my iPhone 6, but if I had to choose devices with different operating systems, here's what the breakdown would be:

iOS - iPhone 6, 128gb, Silver 

Android - Tie between Nexus 6, Blue and Moto X, Bamboo

Blackberry - Blackberry Classic, White

Windows Phone - Nokia Lumia 930, Green

Wearable - Moto 360

iPhone power user
wally_west
Ambassador

Thanks v9, first things first, I wish you all an amazing 2015 and v9, I agree with you that it may be too soon to predict which will be the best phone in 2015. Smiley Happy

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Watch this video to the end.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_vzNxgjDh0

ScottyJ Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Featuring this thread - could be a fun discussion for folks!

Cheers,

ScottyJ

kruisey
Advisor

Well this page seemed to be devoted to iPhone fans.Sorry to disappoint but mine is Samsung Galaxy Note 4.Compare the guts of this with your iphone.

Coming from a Blackberry Q10, and having used iPhones, and Android devices, I've grown quite fond of the Blackberry Passport! It's like the perfect blackberry! Smiley Happy (Barring the 1-2 week re-learning curve ofcourse!)  My 2 BB Cents! Robot Happy

v9
Rockstar

@Kruisey: I totally agree that in this forum-Anybody who post questions, from other Phone manufacturers-Either don't get answers or they diminish the importance of your phone.

In Addition is pointless to be discussing: Which Phone it was the BEST on 2014. The (Op=Original poster) it has a 2nd post to START rating the "2015-Best phone" Changed. Thx <v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Community Power User
Community Power User

@kruisey

Yes, there are a number of devoted iPhone fans in this community. Why not share your opinion as to WHY you feel the Galaxy Note 4 is the best of 2014.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@kruiseyI think the Note 4 is awesome but it's way too big for me. The iPhone 6 was a stretch...i almost prefer the 5s.

iPhone power user
BCLoco
Resident

I do field service for commercial/industrial equipment. No wifi, and an environment too harsh to work safely on a laptop. I needed a phone with awesome screen size to easily view my digital library of wiring diagrams and service manuals, an input that works well with gloves on, outstanding battery life, a good camera for documenting the repairs, and an expandable/swappable memory for infinite and instant access to those same pictures/videos, as well as the aforementioned documents (cloud storage doesn't work well with zero wifi, or the often poor cellular signal found deep in concrete/steel buildings). The answer for me was the Blackberry Passport. I am, honestly and truly, in love with this phone!

Highlighted
RickyTang1007
Helpful Neighbour

BlackBerry Passport hands down, not only is it the best in 2014 but still the best in 2015. Back in 2010-2012, iPhone was good. However, since then every other phone is better than iPhone because while other manufacturers advance their technology on the other hand Apple plays catch up game in 2014 and 2015.

The reasons why I ditched iPhone and switched to BlackBerry Z10 in 2013 and now upgraded to BlackBerry Passport are because I find BlackBerry has everything I need but an iPhone is lacking : -

(1) File Manager - let me save/rename, manage all my files/documents. Andriod phones such as Samung/HTC/Sony can do that too. Unfortunately,  iPhone has no such capability to save files from email attachment or attachment from instant messaging such as a MP3 music file from your friend via Whatspp

(2) BlackBerry Hub - all communications unified in one places rather than switch apps back and forth to interact 5 emails account, text, Whatsapp, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, Call Log and notifications . iPhone's information centre is a kind of cumbersome to handle all communications one way at a time.

(3) True multitasking - BlackBerry allows me to open up to 8 apps running at a time. iPhone's double click is just multi-bookmarking rather than running apps thus you use one app at time.

(4) Way sharper screen - 450PPI while iPhone still stucks at 330PPI. Some of the models by Samsung even go higher to 550PPI.

(5) Awesome battery life - Passport has a 3,450mAh battery that lasts for 2 days with heavy usage. It is the biggest battery for smartphone in the market as of today.  

(6) micro-SD slot - expandable memory up to 128Gb

(7) Stronger internal memory 3Gb RAM on passport Vs iPhone 6  1Gb RAM (that is why iPhone becomes laggy over time and cannot do true multitasking)

(8) Faster processor - Passport has quad-core 2.2GHz Vs iPhone 6 dual core 1.33GHz

(9) HDMI out & MiraCast on Passport trumps iPhone. I can either use MiraCast technology to mirror all the contents on my Passport to any TV's wirelessly without a need to use any hardware. Or if the TV is not MiraCast compatible, I just hook up my Passport to TV using HDMI cable so I watch video, Skype or playing games on a big TV

(10) Full service NFC - tap my Passport to pay at any existing payment terminals in Canada so I already currently do not need to pop out my plastic credit cards. Apple Pay is a joke. The handicap NFC inside an iPhone only supports a custom-built payment terminal specifically made for Apple Pay. I don't think any stores in Canada so silly, investing extra money to build/modify their payment terminals for only Apple devices. Why I said the NFC inside an iPhone is handicapped - while the NFC of BlackBerry or Android phone can let you tap back to back of the two phones to transfer pictures/video/files on the other hand the NFC inside an iPhone has no such function. Note: Apple is very late to introduce NFC technology - only available since iPhone 6 in 2014; BlackBerry has already had that technology since Bold 9900 in 2009.

(11) More app stores available on a Passport : native apps in BlackBerry World, Android apps in Amazon App Store and Google Play App Store. Technically BlackBerry has more apps choice than other platforms.

(12) BlackBerry makes the best keyboard for both virtual and physical. The touch-sensitive keyboard on a Passport is very innovative. It looks a physical keyboard but actually I can flick predictive words up from the keyboard without a need to type letter by letter; swipe across to the left to erase words, scrolling up and down anywhere on the keyboard to browse emails/webpage/document; pinch in and out on the keyboard to zoom in and zoom out. That is way better than scroll/pinch on the glass because my fingers are blocking the contents.

Based on the above 12 points, I would say BlackBerry Passport is the best phone in 2014 and 2015.