Android Marshmallow Update

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Welcome to Samsung. They are well known for delaying updates, especially due to bugs. They had significant delays when Lollipop came out also. I'm still waiting for my S6 Edge update.

Only phones that get the updates right away are Nexus devices. It'll likely be a month or two before the emergency security patch Google just released to the Nexus devices, gets picked up by the various manufacturers to port over to their devices. So that's something else to look forward to.

Only 2% of Android devices have M. 2%. That's just sad. (Apple's at 77% for iOS9) Only 36% of devices are running Lollipop. There are still a whopping 34% running Kitkat. Google needs to defragment their ecosystem very badly and the device makers need to get on board.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
mhinc
Ambassador

@Nighthawk Speaking as a former CPU Tier 2 Senior Advisor for Apple.  Just because Apple puts out their own OTA updates for their devices, and the numbers are high for current OS.  That doesn't mean anything.  New OS Update days were a day we all dreaded, absolute chaos and disaster. Comparing Apple's numbers to Samsung is literally Apple's and Oranges ( Samsung's ) 

Newfiechick19
Friendly Neighbour

Whats the deal with the Samsung S6 Edge update? First it was March 16th, then March 30th, now it's April 14th!! Why do you keep pushing back the update day! This is retarded, just pick a day and stick to it.

drewlsvern
Resident

Can anyone confirm if they have been able to download the Marshmallow update today for the LG G3?

Mindprobe79
Neighbour
I got mine, but not OTA, I used the LG update tool.
Anonymus
Resident

please explain ?

xantius
Neighbour

My LG G3 is upgrading to Marshmallow as I'm typing this.  This is awesome! 

Thank you LG!  Thank you Telus!

Lusitano
Resident

Marshmallow On Moto E2 today! ...was so badly waiting for this. Thanks Telus and Motorola!

VicNTC2016
Friendly Neighbour

Will we see Android M updates for the S4, S5, S5A?

Community Power User
Community Power User

S5 is possible but no announced release for Canada yet.

S5A? The active ones are typically the last to get updates since they're not the flagship devices. 

S4, not likely. Too old, too slow.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
VicNTC2016
Friendly Neighbour

That's what they said about v5.x and my Galaxy Note v1 as well (Too Old, Too slow) but that was proved wrong by CynogenMOD and others. I currently have the stock v5.x on my Note 3 and have no doubt M will run just fine although I suspect that will need a leg up from CynogenMOD as well.

For work however, the S4 and S5 are no slouches and could easily handle M.

riderfan89
Neighbour
VicNTC2016
Friendly Neighbour

Downloaded the update last night (LG G3) via OTA. Slower than a herd of turtles (ran overnight to download) but connection volume may have been an issue.   Smiley Happy

mhinc
Ambassador

I have never had an issue with speeds getting an OTA update from Telus.  Maybe your WIFI sucks?

VicNTC2016
Friendly Neighbour

Nope. WiFi is just fine. Other than the speed, it all went very successfully.

mhinc
Ambassador

It's pretty sad when Blackberry Priv users will have the chance to Beta Test Marshmallow on their phone BEFORE my GS6 get's it!

YES that's right.  Blackberry Priv Beta Testers will get Marshmallow the second week of April.  And I am still waiting until April 18th. 

Read up!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/04/04/blackberry-priv-owners-can-now-sign-up-to-beta-test-android-marshm...

riderfan89
Neighbour

Go check for updates on your Note 5, mine got the update today. 

mhinc
Ambassador

I guess we shouldn't really complain that much.  Has anyone seen Rogers pathetic excuse for Software Updates!  Made me laugh and feel sorry for their customers

http://communityforums.rogers.com/html/assets/OSUpgrade.html

Newfiechick19
Friendly Neighbour
Has anyone gotten the S6 Edge update yet? I tried and either get latest updates have been installed or network error please try again later.
trvsv93
Resident

Not yet! I get the "latest updates have been installed" message. Haven't gotten a network error message though. I'll keep trying throughout the day.