cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi issues

HGolightly
Organizer

I always have buffering when I use my Chromecast, and my internet is very slow.

I have tried all the fixes for buffering.

My friend was over and she opened her tablet to play a game, but could not because of the wifi buffering/dropping. At the time only my laptop and he tablet were connected.

[A survey popped up when I accessed the Telus site, and it still has not loaded!]

I attempted a speed test-see attached-2nd shot

I tried the speed test again:-1st shot

What do I do to get better, more stable internet???

ping 2.png

test.png

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
  1. What internet plan do you subscribe to?
  2. Are you located in a city or small town?
  3. How long has the problem been present?
  4. Do you have any devices physically connected to the modem? If yes, what speed do you see from them?
  5. Which wireless gateway/modem/router do you have?
  6. How far is it from your devices?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hello Nighthawk,

First- it has taken 10 minutes to get into My Telus account so I could see which plan I have.  hmmmmm

1. I am on Telus internet 25- 25 Mbps download

5 Mbps upload

2. I  live in Airdrie, Alberta, which is part of the Greater Calgary Area.

3. The issue gets worse as time progresses I am in a 700 square foot apartment. It is a new building that was pre-wired by Telus

4. I have an Actiontec T1200H

That's kind of all I know sorry

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

That you are in a small apartment may mean surrounding Wi-Fi users are impacting your Wi-Fi. What happens if you connect a laptop to the T1200H with an ethernet cable?  If the speed do not improve when connected by Ethernet, contact Telus to see what's happening with your service, as you should see close to the advertised speeds.

Dealing with Wi-Fi congestion is another issue, but check wired speed first.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

thanks for the answer.

i thought the point of optik was to ensure better "service" with less interference

If i plug in the laptop, i would have wires running through my apartment as the router is in a panel in the hallway?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@HGolightly wrote:

i thought the point of optik was to ensure better "service" with less interference

And there is, until you get to the end of the fibre optic cable. Wi-Fi is still subject to the same laws of physics as before Optik.

If i plug in the laptop, i would have wires running through my apartment as the router is in a panel in the hallway?

Yes, you will, but until you start taking a few troubleshooting steps, we can't begin to help you with solutions. At the moment we don't know if the issue is limited to your Wi-Fi signal, or extends to your internet connection.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Also if the router is inside an enclosed panel, especially if metal, that can impact wireless as well.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I did take the router out of the panel. I will find a cable and try to hardwire and see if that helps