router without wifi

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

mariana
Neighbour

Hi there,

I would like to have a router with a switch on/off for the wi-fi connection. Not sure if I have to call Telus representative to replace the existing one witch has no  on/off option for wi-fi.

Thank you!

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
I'm not aware of any router with a 'switch' to turn off WiFi. It is usually controlled through the software. Look for the following information on the bottom of your router:
IP address (usually 192.168.1.254)
Login: (usually admin)
Password: (usually telus)

Type the IP address into your browser location bar. Once the web page for the router opens login with the appropriate credentials, and navigate to the wireless section. There you can turn WiFi on and off, or control it in other ways.

If you describe what you wish to accomplish, the community can provide further suggestions. Also let us know which router you have.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
mariana
Neighbour

Thanks a lot!!!

Will check with my husband tonight the model of the modem/ it is hard to reach- hidden in the closet's wall in a box/

My goal would be to be able to stop wi-fi connection when we're not using it./ lowering EMF exposure/

I will let you know what happens.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

There will likely be no kill switch to completely power down the antennae on the router. The most you'll likely get is shutting off the wireless settings/interface on the router. For best results, try unplugging the router.

EMF has yet to be proven detrimental to human health. EMF comes from all around you and the wireless router is likely one of the weakest things you'll have nearby creating them. Fear of EMF is basically superstition at this point in time. If EMF was harmful there would be milllions of sick geeks, gamers and office workers out there right now worldwide. Your TV has a stronger EMF than the router does as the TV uses far more power. Your microwave is worse. Then count the cell/radio/tv signals which are far stronger than anything your router is capable of. And if you are adventurous, count all the many many forms of radiation the sun gives off which of which a number are known to absolutely cause illness in humans.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

You are likely receiving a greater level of EMF from the device you are using which is connecting to the router than you would from the router over a 24 hour period, as you are much closer to that device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@Nighthawk wrote:

There will likely be no kill switch to completely power down the antennae on the router. The most you'll likely get is shutting off the wireless settings/interface on the router. For best results, try unplugging the router.

EMF has yet to be proven detrimental to human health. EMF comes from all around you and the wireless router is likely one of the weakest things you'll have nearby creating them. Fear of EMF is basically superstition at this point in time. If EMF was harmful there would be milllions of sick geeks, gamers and office workers out there right now worldwide. Your TV has a stronger EMF than the router does as the TV uses far more power. Your microwave is worse. Then count the cell/radio/tv signals which are far stronger than anything your router is capable of. And if you are adventurous, count all the many many forms of radiation the sun gives off which of which a number are known to absolutely cause illness in humans.

What I used to do is hook my router to an electric timer.  It turns off the router when I'm at work and when I'm asleep.  Great to extend the life of the router and transformer block.

Today with a modem and router combined, turning off the modem means the modem can take minutes or hours to resync.  It also messes up my Optik service.

If you have the wireless Optik services, it also transmit's EMF.

mariana
Neighbour

Thanks a lot to you all!!

The problem is solved. Now I know how to enable/disable  wi-fi connection through Telus web-site.

It takes a few seconds.

Thank you!

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Keep in mind EMF can also come from other sources....

• do you sleep next to an LED clock, there is EMF
  • do you sit near a table light with a light dimming switch?  the light switch is a strong source of EMF.
  • do you sit near a refrigerator in the kitchen, there is EMF when it's cooling
  • do you ride the subway?  There is EMF when you sit/stand near the wheels
  • do you drive a car?  There is EMF sitting in the front seats

Get yourself one of these devices to measure EMF beyond wifi and cellular signals.

http://www.amazon.com/Trifield-100XE-EMF-Meter/dp/B00050WQ1G/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1389928769