cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port 80 not working home security camera system

CalgaryNetwork
Organizer

its almost 2019 and im paying telus over 120 a month for so called "pure" fiber internet...

I have deployed a home security camera system $1000  system and I can not access it remotely. 

The manufacture said TELUS is blocking the built-in viewing software , the can rewrite the software that would cost thousands of dollars, as theres no need to as port 80 is the standard port for HTTP 

thank you

7 REPLIES 7

rc
Rockstar

I don't think TELUS is going to change their policy about blocking common ports associated with home based servers. Port 80, being a standard port for Web servers, is being blocked as a result of that policy.

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

Change it to a different port.  That's what everyone else (who has a working system) does.  If you can 't do that, take back the system and get one that's properly configurable.  Don't expect the rest of the world to change policies on your behalf, not going to happen.

"Don't expect the rest of the world to change policies on your behalf, not going to happen."

Who said anything about the rest of the world to change polices?  and only on my behalf? 

You were complaining. This is your problem to fix, not Telus' problem.  Change the port, as I said, and it will work.  You'll also need probably dynamic DNS from the manufacturer or somewhere.

Your post consists of you asking the manufacturer to change the software (they refused) and you then wanting Telus to open up the port (which I doubt they'll do).

@BillTelusCust wrote:

Change it to a different port.  That's what everyone else (who has a working system) does.

When I looked at the problem.... Telus blocked ALL the ports.

I got a new camera system that was portless.  Love Nest.

I find it very difficult to believe that they blocked "all" the ports, they don't do that.   And now you have a "portless" system?   

rc
Rockstar

You may want to looking into using a VPN to get external access to the camera  system.  This would requiire a vpn server and may require port bridging on the actiontec to work.