fibre 250 internet and wireless speed

Highlighted
Berk
Resident

I have been on Telus Fiber optic Internet & TV since March 2017 in Vernon. It is advertised at 250 Mb upload and download. I check my speeds regularly on Ookla speed check and it consistently is around 275 Mb download and 248 Mb upload speed. We are very fortunate in Vernon because Telus built a new fiber optic network in this area from the ground up and it has the very latest technology in it. I have my computers hooked up to the modem by Ethernet cable which can handle 1Gb so we get the full benefit of the speed available. It is great! Bear in mind that if you are using WI-Fi for connection, your speed will be influenced by many factors such as distance from the modem, number of wireless units on the modem, speed of your computer's Wi-Fi modem and even furniture in between the Telus modem and the computer. I had a problem with speed on one Wi-Fi connection after my wife moved a chair in the room. Turned out the chair had steel frame underneath and it was interfering with the signal. I moved the computer to the other side of the chair and my speed came back instantly! Go figure!

dreadpiraterobert
Resident

Just got Pure Fibre 250 installed yesterday, and on the first test my download speed went from about 150 mbps on Saturday, to 26 mpbs today.

Yes, that's correct. 26.

Half a dozen tests later and I keep hitting between 23 and 44 mbps.

Community Power User
Community Power User
Are you connected by Ethernet?
Have you tried a number of different endpoint servers?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Exhile
Ambassador

Shaw just announced their 300Mbps Internet plan.

Capture.JPG

Surely Telus must respond to this new offer from Shaw with a new Internet package of their own. The market demand for these fast Internet speeds is low compared to the rest of the home internet market but nevertheless, Telus should match Shaw's Internet offerings so that there is an equilibrium.

Capture1.JPG

canucks4life
Ambassador

Saw an arti

@Exhile wrote:

Shaw just announced their 300Mbps Internet plan.

Capture.JPG

Surely Telus must respond to this new offer from Shaw with a new Internet package of their own. The market demand for these fast Internet speeds is low compared to the rest of the home internet market but nevertheless, Telus should match Shaw's Internet offerings so that there is an equilibrium.

Capture1.JPG

Just saw an article on that mobilesyrup.

Kind of hard for them to do much for people who are stuck on bonded copper such as myself besides throwing us more service credits Man Frustrated

Community Power User
Community Power User

AFAIC, Telus 250 Mbps synchronous service at $90 per month can be favourably compared to Shaw's 300/20 Mbps with node saturation at $92.50 per month for the term (even more as you stay longer). The difference between 250 and 300 Mbps would be unnoticeable to most users, as the servers to which they connect can't fill the pipe. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Parrelium
Friendly Neighbour

I saw something somewhere with some info...

Parrelium
Friendly Neighbour

And it begins.

Rumor is that the 150 package Is being changed to 300 too.

1419B76D-21F8-44A4-BF4D-FBDCE38AEE1A.png

Exhile
Ambassador

@Parrelium wrote:

And it begins.

Rumor is that the 150 package Is being changed to 300 too.

1419B76D-21F8-44A4-BF4D-FBDCE38AEE1A.png

I can't find that page but yes, Telus has responded.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

well 300/20 is an upload ratioof 10%. depends on where you live the over saturation can potentially kills your speed.

kikithecafekief101
Leader

so what about Surrey, BC area that the fibre is ramping up the build, fyi my mom's on (fibre) internet 50/50 discontinued   ...

and my place is on 150.150 will they leave 150 or change it to 300300... or have both

#newmodem?T4400h... hmmm lol hahaha the world spinning!!