cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One and T3200m

Labec
Organizer

Ok here we go...

I recently wired my xbox one to my T3200M. After starting my xbox for the first time I received an error that the xbox was unable to communicate with the router DHCP and was getting a default (169.x.x.x) address. No worries I thought, I could just set a static IP and forward the appropriate ports to the new static IP but this only worked for about a day. The xbox was not used for a few days and when I started the xbox it could not connect to the T3200M. I went to my router and noticed that the ethernet port I was using had no link state lights on. The only way I can restore link state to that port is to hard restart the T3200m. 

My question is what is going on? My xbox is in instant on mode, I have found a few different articles around the internet that says turning off instant on will fix this issue, but losing the features of instant on is a pain. The xbox worked fine (although my speeds were much slower) over wifi and now that I have it wired it only works with a bunch of messing around. Is there an issue with my T3200M? Why does the router seem to kill that port until a hard reset of the router is complete?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader

This is a known issue with Xbox One consoles hard wired to the T3200 modems. Last I heard the issue was actually on the Microsoft side and they have been notified but there's no current ETA on when they will patch it on the Xbox end. The current workaround is to place a network switch between the Xbox and the Modem. You still get the hard wired speed benefits and the Xbox can keep the instant on feature enabled but the port will not 'burn out' requiring you to reboot devices.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Chicnstu
Leader

This is a known issue with Xbox One consoles hard wired to the T3200 modems. Last I heard the issue was actually on the Microsoft side and they have been notified but there's no current ETA on when they will patch it on the Xbox end. The current workaround is to place a network switch between the Xbox and the Modem. You still get the hard wired speed benefits and the Xbox can keep the instant on feature enabled but the port will not 'burn out' requiring you to reboot devices.

Thanks for the reply! I will be getting myself a switch, cause who knows when MS will actually fix this.....

It doesn't need to be a managed switch does it? Any switch will do?

It does not need to be managed. I have 2 xbox ones in my home and both are behind basic 4-port switches. One is a D-Link, the other is Zyxel. I've had zero issues with connectivity with both of them.

Have you seen any Microsoft documentation on the specific fault? I'm having the same issue and I'm curious.

Thanks for your help on this. Solved a lot of potential frustration.

Also, for others looking for this, I got mine working with an old Dlink wireless router I had lying around. I turned off the wireless radio and the dlna and plugged it in as a switch and it was solved. If you have an old gigabit router, you may be in luck.