cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering about potentially high latency at condo

Gurv1
Neighbour

Hi guys, I just had fiber installed at a condo today (after a ton of issues with the wiring supposedly) and when doing a speed test the tech was getting around 33 ms to the nearest server. Currently at home with telus to the same server on speedtest.net I get 3 ms. Now I play a ton of online games and obviously latency is a huge factor, easily bigger to me than download or upload speed, so I really hope I didn't just end up in a 2 year plan with internet that's going to give me a crappy connection to the game servers.  

Since I haven't moved into the condo just yet I'm not entirely sure if this will pose any issue but I figured I'd ask on the community forum just in case. Do you guys think these results mean anything? I understand the techs are told that "anything under 50 ms is acceptable" while I completely disagree with that, that's not the point. I was just wondering if there may be a reason that latency to that server from my current residence (which is a house) gives me 3 ms, and the latency from the condo to that exact server is 33 ms. 

5 REPLIES 5

Gurv1
Neighbour

Sorry I also forgot to mention, there's high jitter at the condo too, so I mean it can fluctuate anywhere from 31-39 everytime the test is ran, at my current residence no matter what, it's always 3. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you running hardwired or wireless at the condo? Are you testing speeds from a computer or a console?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It was hardwired using the laptop the technician brought with him. There were initially tons of issues with the speed not being up to par but him snipping 6 inches off the ethernet(? not sure but i believe) wire in the wall seemed to more or less bring the speeds almost up to where they should be. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

An improperly wired Ethernet jack would cause all sorts of speed problems, even though still working.

Sounds like the Tech found and resolved the issue.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yeah I mean the speeds were up to about 630ish on a 750 plan after he did that, but once again I'm more so worried about the latency.