cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless 4k Box and Netgear Orbi

jbolt249
Just Moved In

I have a 4k wireless optik tv box on the far end of the house which is constantly cutting out and freezing due to the distance away from the Actiontec T3200 modem. I am wondering if using or creating a wireless mesh network with google wifi, netgear orbi, etc. would help with this issue. 

I have seen in previous posts here a couple users have said that they have found it helpful. The thing I am struggling with understanding is, if the Mesh Device, be it google wifi or netgear orbi, creates a new wireless network - how would the wireless optik tv box be able to connect to it? 

Thanks in advance for any help or tips on this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Big question would be can the Orbi handle multicast traffic? Not many wireless devices can let alone mesh devices. Would likely seriously degrade wireless performance. The standard wireless Optik boxes normally connect using specific WPS to the main Telus router itself, or Telus provided access point. I would assume the 4K boxes are set up similarly. You could contact Telus and see if they can get you a range extender that is used for Optik boxes. I don't believe they charge for it if they know there is a problem with poor wireless signal reception on one of the Optik boxes.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Big question would be can the Orbi handle multicast traffic? Not many wireless devices can let alone mesh devices. Would likely seriously degrade wireless performance. The standard wireless Optik boxes normally connect using specific WPS to the main Telus router itself, or Telus provided access point. I would assume the 4K boxes are set up similarly. You could contact Telus and see if they can get you a range extender that is used for Optik boxes. I don't believe they charge for it if they know there is a problem with poor wireless signal reception on one of the Optik boxes.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂