Will Optik TV work over my 4KM Point-to-Point Link (network map included)

ron_jeremy
Resident

We currently have Coast Cable (Eastlink) for broadband Internet, and are planning on adding TV to our plan. However, their TV packages kind of suck, so I'm considering switching to Telus for TV (non-4K) and Internet. 

If I remove the Coast Cable modem, can I add a Telus broadband modem and a Telus HD TV box (not 4K or PVR) into my current network as shown below? 

home network.jpg

Community Power User
Community Power User

How fast is this Point-to-Point link?

Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm also curious if a point to point link will properly support multicast needed for Optik TV to work, same with the router on the house end. Also if the point to point link is private and dedicated to the one residence. 

Now if it was Pik TV, there would be far fewer possible compatibility issues but it does have a more limited channel selection than Optik.

ron_jeremy
Resident

I ran a ping test and speed test from the shore antenna to the house antenna here on the island. Tests were done during the "slowest" part of the day (where the sun causes a lot of reflection off the water). What do you think?

ping-shore-to-island.jpegspeed-test-shore-to-island.jpeg

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you test by purchasing Eastlink's product for a trial? Should be a low cost option to buy then cancel if it does not work.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
JTL
Coach

I think Optik TV in the worst case is ~5-10 mbps per channel (with exception of 4K)

You should be good if you can sustain that plus a few megabits to spare

JTL
Coach

Curious, does the fixed wireless equipment do double NAT? If so you might need to remove it for Optik TV to work properly.