cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi boost and original network

AaronQ
Friendly Neighbour
Can anyone tell me if or how I can configure one network using the telus Wi-Fi boosters?

We just installed telus pure fiber (from Shaw) and realized that 5G coverage was limited. Installed a couple of boosters which solved the problem of 5G coverage but introduced a new problem. Everything connected to the boost network will stay on it but switch to 2G when it could be using 5G on the original network. How can I make one network?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most folks find it better to run their Wi-Fi entirety on the Boost SSID, as there are often issues of connectivity between the Wi-Fi on the Actiontec not properly communicating with the Ethernet side of the router. Trying to get the Boost devices to work on the same SSID as the Actiontec usually causes difficulties.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most folks find it better to run their Wi-Fi entirety on the Boost SSID, as there are often issues of connectivity between the Wi-Fi on the Actiontec not properly communicating with the Ethernet side of the router. Trying to get the Boost devices to work on the same SSID as the Actiontec usually causes difficulties.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

AaronQ
Friendly Neighbour

I guess I'll look into getting another booster for the top floor.  Seems like a bit of a waste though.

Thanks for your input.

@NFtoBC wrote:

Most folks find it better to run their Wi-Fi entirety on the Boost SSID, as there are often issues of connectivity between the Wi-Finon the Actiontec not properly communicating with the Ethernet side of the router. Trying to get the Boost devices to work on the same SSID as the Actiontec usually causes difficulties.

AaronQ
Friendly Neighbour
Just a quick update. So taking NFtoBC’s advice and deciding to just use the boosted
Network through the house I decided as a brand new Optik customer it was worth a quick call to Telus loyalty department to see if there was anything they could do. In large part because I had been seeing ads about a 200 credit towards a three piece booster set for doing the 2 year contract which we had done. Anyway after a long wait on hold, I explained the situation and confusion/disappointment over two networks in the house and the promo I had seen advertised and they send me the expansion FREE. Thank you Telus for really going the extra for a new customer.

ShawSpy
Organizer

You need to get rid of the garbage Actiontec T3200 modem and get the new Telus Wifi Hub which is meshable with the Telus boost.

from my other post ------------

I find that the fastest Mesh Network is the Telus Boost network, but only if you set it up properly.

Equipment needed:
1x Telus Wifi Hub Modem (Arcadyan, all white model)
3 x Telus Boost Mesh Points
3x MOCA 2.0 Converters (optional if you are using Cat/lan cable)

Make sure all the Telus Boost Mesh devices are hardwired, either CAT5e/6 or using MOCA 2.0 adapters. This only works with the NEW Telus Wi-fi hub gateway modem, not the OLD Actiontec T3200 modem which is not a Mesh Gateway.

Telus Wifi Hub supports Moca by directly plugging in the coax cable, use a proper Holland splitter for the coaxial cables on the modem end.

The new Telus Wifi Hub modem supports a mesh network and acts as the heart of your mesh network and you can use your existing Coaxial cable wires with MOCA 2.0 adapters to directly plug in your Telus Boost devices.

The result:
- Only 1 SSID with Band-Steering for the entire house. So only one wireless network even though you are using 4 devices.
- Excellent blanket coverage of your entire house at extremely high download and upload speeds.
- Each boost unit is 4x4 antenna

Everything works much better, faster and efficiently then my google mesh system did and I only have 1 SSID now and not two. I have heard bad things about Telus Boost from people using Actiontec modems and wirelessly pairing some of the Boosts to the network. If you get the new Telus Wifi Hub modem, it will create a true high speed mesh network. I was skeptical at first, but Telus even has a page where they state it is better then Google Nest Wifi, so far impressed, or any I missing the point on something?

Hi,

In recent experience specifically today.

Google Mesh and moca devices do not work properly with the arcadyan router.

I tried full bridge on all ports on the router but that disabled my moca devices.

I tried bridge lan port 1 only but the google mesh routers gave me 100mbps down and 7mbps up on wifi (I have 1gb up and down)

If you bridge only lan port 1 the moca devices will be on another subnet which is also dumb.

I hope the telus boosts will all mesh into 1 subnet and extend properly with the moca devices as you mentioned.

And the splitter you added to the modem is only if you have optik TV right?

The splitter is needed because the Telus Wi-Fi hub modem has one moca coaxial out, the frequency needs to be the splitter I mentioned so you can split the moca out from the modem and don’t need any moca 2.0 adaptors on the modem side, only on the telus boost plug in end.

AaronQ
Friendly Neighbour

Ended up getting the new boost hub to solve issues I was having and I'm very happy I did.  Not only does ipv6 work with the new modem, I no longer have the side effect of having to reset my hardwired boost AP's every time there was a firmware update.

So far so good!

Make sure the Telus Boost are hardwired either over CAT cable or Coaxial using MOCA 2.0 adapters and the Telus Wi-Fi hub with Telus Boost will give you the absolute best mesh network out there.