Why Can't I Upgrade my Internet Speed??

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Bushman
Friendly Neighbour

Is Telus blowing smoke with its tech or is there a solid reason why I cannot upgrade higher than 15 mbps in downtown Calgary?  First they tell me ADSL can go to 25 mbps (within the ADSL standard BTW) and then they tell me I need fibre:  except that while their own online tool says I am in a service area, that there is not fibre.  This, on the heels of getting hounded all last summer by Telus reps to sign up.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Since we are just customers, like you, we have no knowledge of the inner workings of Telus, nor your particular circumstances. However, Telus would happily sell you higher speed internet were it available to you.

Some things which could affect your options:

Single family residence vs multi-family building

Is the building provided with fibre or Ethernet to connect to their services, or can it be easily installed

Distance from the telco office to your home

Availability of equipment to connect to at the switch

Physical location of infrastructure to connect to the network

Are just some of the confounding issues. Tell us a bit more about your situation, and we may be able to provide a bit more information.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Bushman
Friendly Neighbour

I am in the green zone https://fibre.telus.com/calgary/availability/ Single family home near Crescent Hts High School yet Telus claims there is not high speed here!  LOL  My neighbours have high speed too.  So either I got an idiot for a Telus rep or their map is lying.  One or the other.  I can see the fibre line from my kitchen.  And remember I saif that I had 4 or 5 vists last summer from Telus reps telling me to sign up ASAP.  I think I may just have to switch to Shaw high speed. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Or you could try calling Telus again and see if you can get more accurate information, especially if the houses neighbouring yours have Fibre available to them.

NFtoBC
Bushman
Friendly Neighbour

Kinda sad, isn't it - when Telus reps don't even know what their website says?  Obviously I have to talk to someone higher up the food chain than some foreign national in some faraway country.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Or the individual mis-keyed your address; to the database was not fully accurate; to the area is oversubscribed; many reasons to simply ask again.

NFtoBC
Bushman
Friendly Neighbour

Finally, FINALLY, got an intelligent human at Telus who told me that the fiber maps are generic, there is no high speed DSL BUT there is fiber.  Now to wait for a tech to come by....