What's with the speed ratings on the telus website?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Scoots
Connector
So I've had Internet 150 at my place for the last year, and I decided to see what prices were now through the telus website. I put in my address, and if I was a new customer it says I could only get Internet 75. Is telus having issues maintaining network speeds in some areas, and is throttling back on offered plans to compensate? Seems weird to me, but not really an issue for me since I already have 150, but if I was someone in my area that wanted 150 and couldn't get it now I'd be a little choked.
Community Power User
Community Power User

Were you looking under the Internet section, or the Pure Fibre section? They post different speed options.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Scoots
Connector
Just double checked, and it's the same whether I choose Internet or PureFibre, it maxes out at 75. Maybe it's just something screwy with the website or maybe they've adjusted their plan offerings in my area, who knows.
Community Power User
Community Power User

Depending on how I enter my address I get options from 6 Mbps only, through no options (Internet) to 25/ 150/ Gigabit (Fibre). 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Scoots
Connector

Hmmm, might be a website issue then. I heard telus is in the middle of adjusting how services are billed, and apparently they are getting my area prepared for gigabit internet, so I'm guessing it's just a hiccup in the system.  Just checked again this morning and when I put my address in it said I didn't have fibre in my area, even though I'm already on it haha. 

hpjtv
Neighbour

I can't believe you are complaining about 75 vs 150.  I've been with Telus 20 years now and can only get 6Mbps.  And most of the time it will only give me 4Mbps.  I've asked about upgrading but it's just not available in my area.  I also have no other options as I don't even have a cable line to the house and Satellite/Cellular would be too expensive.  I have like 20 devices and most of the time, things work pretty well.  Can watch you tube and netflix on 2 different devices at once but it's not super quality.  Even the kids can play online games with their Playstation 4 but there are times when it's so slow it drives me nuts.

hpjtv
Neighbour

Not only that, I've asked for a dry loop and that's not even possible so I have to have a landline.  It's a number I don't even use and have to pay for.  Been like this for 20 years.  A phone line for $30 that I don't even use.