cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my connection between 6pm and 10pm?

mcm8996
Friendly Neighbour

I live in the Mt. Pleasant area in Vancouver. Every week night, without fail, my otherwise strong connection slows to a crawl, making streaming impossible. This is unfortunate since my job involves streaming video around that time, and I can't work from home with the setup.

I have Optik, which runs fine during that hour. I use a wired connection, a brand-new modem and a brand-new laptop. I've had three tech guys come and tell me nothing is wrong with my phone line.

Why does my connection routinely drop during this time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

More specifics about the exact issue you're having can help.

• Three techs have checked your connection and said it's fine.
  • TV works fine during whatever the problem is you're experiencing on your laptop so the internet connection appears stable.
  • Speedtests work fine. (Doesn't matter who owns the server that website decides test to.)
  • Even at the lowest, 65mbps gives you tons of available bandwidth for enjoying streaming content.
  • Any errors? What do you see happening when you encounter the problem?
  • What specific sites are you seeing issues with accessing? The more you can list, the better. It could be an issue with a CDN they share.
  • What software are you using to stream out with or are you just trying to watch NHL GameCentre Live?
  • If you feel like sharing, what model laptop do you have? Does it have the CPU and graphics power to do what you need?
  • Anything causing excessive CPU usage on your computer? Like an overactive anti-virus? Windows Update? A virus? Bitcoin miner?
  • Are you using a VPN?

I am curious what occupation involves streaming NHL GameCentre Live. Are you re-streaming live games over another streaming service?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My interpretation:

If your Optik TV does not show issues, then the Telus portion of your connection to the Internet would not appear to be the problem. Optik is, in effect, delivered over Telus' Intranet, not the Internet, so if it is working as expected then the problem is likely further afield.

• What speed Internet service do you have?
  • How many TVs are in use, and is any recording of programs occurring simultaneously?
    • Multiple TV in use will reduce capacity of phone line-based internet
  • How many users are online, and are any streaming video or gaming?
  • What GB volume do you consume most months?

The ability of some providers to 'fill the pipe' can be limited, especially at their peak times. US sites may also be subject to the removal of Net Neutrality rules, allowing the big providers to slow their packets to end users.

Can you provide a bit more details of your experiences, including Speedtest at the time you see a problem?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

mcm8996
Friendly Neighbour

There's usually just 1 Optik TV in use at the time, but the speeds are the same (anecdotal, no hard date) whether 0, 1, or 2 boxes are in use. When I'm working, nobody else is streaming. The service I'm using is NHL GameCentre Live, but my co-workers have not experienced the same issues (well, one did, but switched ISPs and the problem went away).

I have Internet 100 because my building can't support speeds any higher. Typically around 200-250 GBs/month.

mcm8996
Friendly Neighbour

Nothing? No help? Wonderful. Here's hoping Novus is able to get into my building...

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@NFtoBC wrote:

Can you provide a bit more details of your experiences, including Speedtest at the time you see a problem?

??

So far all you have indicated is slow delivery of NHL GameCentre Live.

NFtoBC

mcm8996
Friendly Neighbour

The speedtest is fine, generally. It shows a small slowdown during peak hours but nothing too concerning (down to roughly 65 mbps from 80 or so mid-day). The problem is that stuff fundamentally doesn't work: I can't connect to sites, I get timed out of others, and the connection is completely unusable.

I suspect that the problem is related to the infrastructure supplying my building or neighbourhood.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@mcm8996 wrote:

I suspect that the problem is related to the infrastructure supplying my building or neighbourhood.

I can't see that being the case if your Speedtest results are satisfactory during those times. It CAN'T be fast (ping included), while other sites are slow if the issue is the last mile. Is it possible the sites you are visiting at those times are also in high demand?

You could try changing the DNS server on your router to Google's (8.8.8.8) or the open source one at 1.1.1.1 to see if that makes any difference.

NFtoBC

mcm8996
Friendly Neighbour

OK great. That didn't work.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get fired because I can't work until the **bleep** company fixes my **bleep** connection.

mcm8996
Friendly Neighbour

One of the things I've noticed when running a speed test is that the "optimal server" at these hours isn't Telus, but Shaw.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My Optimal Server is almost never Telus. It is usually some other ISP with a good ping.

I suggest you contact Telus with questions about the specific sites you are trying to reach to see if they can determine why some sites give poor response, while others give good response time.

NFtoBC

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

More specifics about the exact issue you're having can help.

• Three techs have checked your connection and said it's fine.
  • TV works fine during whatever the problem is you're experiencing on your laptop so the internet connection appears stable.
  • Speedtests work fine. (Doesn't matter who owns the server that website decides test to.)
  • Even at the lowest, 65mbps gives you tons of available bandwidth for enjoying streaming content.
  • Any errors? What do you see happening when you encounter the problem?
  • What specific sites are you seeing issues with accessing? The more you can list, the better. It could be an issue with a CDN they share.
  • What software are you using to stream out with or are you just trying to watch NHL GameCentre Live?
  • If you feel like sharing, what model laptop do you have? Does it have the CPU and graphics power to do what you need?
  • Anything causing excessive CPU usage on your computer? Like an overactive anti-virus? Windows Update? A virus? Bitcoin miner?
  • Are you using a VPN?

I am curious what occupation involves streaming NHL GameCentre Live. Are you re-streaming live games over another streaming service?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂