cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What firbe patch cables are used during installation?

NVG
Just Moved In

When my Firbe service as installed the cable wasn't long enough so the patch box below was installed. I would now like to move the modem 50 feet further along an unfinished wall in my basement. So I need to replace the current 5' fibre patch cord that runs from this patch box to the modem with a 50' cable. Anyone know what type of fibre cable I should be looking for, there are so many options. 

The current 5' patch cable has the following written on it:

Corning Optical Cable 01 06/18 SS-946IC1 - 001 SMF - MRB 5.0MM E219104 (UL) OFNR C(UL) OFN-FT4 1992 MT

IMG_4910.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Corning Clearcurve 1F 5.0cc 4.8mm fibre patch cables are what the Telus installers use. I see there is a 20m long cable on eBay right now for $30. You might be able to find them from other sources online but I don't know any off the top of my head.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

polecat
All-Star

I found a site (canadian) (primecables.ca)  They carry all types of cables. I did  cat5 & cat7. Bought cable some ends-wall outlets- crimping tool with tester ($14.00). Order a sat  am in my mail box on the monday in july from vancouver. They have many items - ink - small tools -household items etc. I have got other things and very happy with them.  Polecat

Chicnstu
Leader
I would recommend against patching another length of Fibre if you can avoid it due to various reasons mostly related to the delicacy of fibre especially if you plan on finishing that basement wall in the future. Do you have both an ONT and a modem in the same location? If so I would recommend running cat5 or 6 from the ONT location to where you want the modem relocated and terminate the ends with data jacks so you can just plug the modem's WAN port in to the ONT by way of that new line. Telus technicians can do this as well but it's most likely a billable service.

NVG
Just Moved In

I appreciate the links and advice, but would really love it if someone knew the answer to thew question I asked.

Corning Clearcurve 1F 5.0cc 4.8mm fibre patch cables are what the Telus installers use. I see there is a 20m long cable on eBay right now for $30. You might be able to find them from other sources online but I don't know any off the top of my head.