The telus shaw Internet Monopoly

DC1
Connector

Its time we ask our governments to STOP the Telus Shaw Internet Monopoly

Anyone with me ? Think of the benefits REAL competition would bring us Canadians.

Competitive rates from less greedy Companies

Fast service with a smile not slow service high bills and a group of Internet bullies who edit the complaint forums.

We are being abused and its all on record making for a EASY court case in our Favor

goman
Friendly Neighbour

I'm waiting for the day Telus buys Shaw or Shaw buys Telus! I was talking to a Shaw rep a while ago and he said if they have to put in real fiber they will. I say "Really", I don't think so. Duplicate a system that Telus has already installed, fat chance. Did Shaw allow Telus to use their coax distribution system, nope they had to use their own twisted pair until technology reached the limit with that and pure fiber is now replacing it. So....maybe in the future with only one of them it may be worse than now! One company could charge anything they like. So yes we do need competitors for sure but what infrastructure would they use?

Lola
Rockstar

Canada does not have the population base to support new companies, or more companies, competition. We're a large country with few paying customers to go around. We're not an attractive investment for no names struggling to make a dollar, and our archaic foreign investment rules make us hugely unattractive to big names that can find easier profit elsewhere. There are other problems, of course, but population, paying customers, is one of the biggest.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@goman wrote:

Duplicate a system that Telus has already installed, fat chance. Did Shaw allow Telus to use their coax distribution system, nope they had to use their own twisted pair until technology reached the limit with that and pure fiber is now replacing it. So....maybe in the future with only one of them it may be worse than now!

While Telus/Shaw have invested in the infrastructure.  There are "resellers" who resell the Telus/Shaw systems to consumers at a discount.

goman
Friendly Neighbour

Please suggest some resellers. I've never looked into them. Maybe I should!

Highlighted
Lola
Rockstar

Try this thread:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/what-alternatives-shaw-telus-internet-exist-bc-1959061/

And take your chances. I wouldn't tho. Cat LOL Other people's experiences inform me.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DC1 wrote:

... the complaint forums.

The Neighbourhood is here to share knowledge, and solutions between users of Telus services. If the above is how you see this space, then you are missing a lot, and probably should move on.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
JTL
Advocate

In European countries like France and Spain the government provide incentives for new companies to enter the market.

Result is in large French cities you have more than 5 ISPs spread between DSL cable and fibre to choose from.

I think that's fair.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

In Metro Vancouver, there are competitors which do provide independent service in small regions... but they don't appear interest in expanding

Many years ago, Fido offered a home internet service in Vancouver.... Was not reliable and the service went away.  Doing a google... it appears they are operating in Ontario.

DC1
Connector

Re: gorman what infrastructure would they use ?

B.C hydro's poles and lines send it threw the wall socket  a 2nd option is a Cell Company

a 3rd a Satellite system upgraded for mega users with a reduced cost

Currently Satellite internet costs $100 for 80 GB of downloads a month

With Gov incentives a larger residential market would mean more satellites would be launched
Creating jobs and improving the Worlds internet access.

I see it as the future of internet , my next home will be Satellite internet as it will be off grid

best part is even now it will only cost me $25 more a month then Telus wants for fiber !

For a Price War we need the Satellite and cell phone internet companies to step up to the plate and build their systems.

Most Helpful
Exhile
Ambassador

Shaw & Telus are not a monopoly. A monopoly is only one firm that controls the pricing of a good or service. Shaw & Telus together form an oligopoly where 2 or more firms collude on prices. As one poster has stated, "Western Canada doesn't have the population to support more ISPs". Ontario & Quebec dwarf what BC & Alberta have combined in terms of population.

DC1
Connector

For a comparison I looked at Montreal prices to see what competition does for the consumers back east.

They have over 40 internet providers , 40 splitting the pie and prices their prices are $25 internet $25 Cable tv  here we have two Companies splitting the pie and its $75 and $75.

That works out to $300 + tax is $312 in Quebec 

$900 + tax is $1010 a year in B.C

We pay 3 times the tax & 3 times the price and Vancouver is no small City by any stretch 

Pam-MB
Coach

What about Bell and Rogers?

Exhile
Ambassador

Bell & Rogers provide Internet & TV services in Ontario.

Pam-MB
Coach

Same for Alberta.

Exhile
Ambassador

Alberta has the same competition as BC, Telus & Shaw.