Telus email security

Herbe
Friendly Neighbour

Does anyone know what weakness Telus email would have that would cause CIBC to not use Telus email to send a one time confirmation code?

Community Power User
Community Power User
First I’ve heard of this. What was CIBCs excuse?
canucks4life
Ambassador

What they want a Yahoo! Email instead Cat LOL

Herbe
Friendly Neighbour

WestCoasterBC wrote:
First I’ve heard of this. What was CIBCs excuse?

This is all they said: Sorry for the inconvenience. To keep your account secure, we’re no longer sending one-time verification codes to this email provider. Please return to your list of contact methods, choose SMS or Telephone, and select “Resend”. Error #F0001

Community Power User
Community Power User
Did you try a non Telus email?
Herbe
Friendly Neighbour
No.
Community Power User
Community Power User
I am guessing No emails work from any provider. Hence I asked if your tried a different one.

I don’t bank with CIBC so can’t test my assumption. Seems like two form factor authentication is used only.
rc
Advocate

Found this statement on cibc website 

Note: For account security, we’re no longer sending one-time verification codes to personal or free email services.

I guess they now consider telus email to be free.

Community Power User
Community Power User
With Phising scam so prelevant these days. All accounts should be using two form factor authentication.

How many banking, PayPal scams do you see throughout the year. Makes sense although “free” email is poorly worded on their account.
Community Power User
Community Power User

They also said personal email and that could easily be used to describe ISP email accounts.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I’ve been doing all my RBC Account updates through their web interface or App for some time now. Recent Apple Pay updates gave me the choice of authentication through the App, or a phone call. No emailed confirmation codes.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Herbe
Friendly Neighbour
Sounds like it's a overall email issue rather than a particular provider.