cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus TV HDMI over cat6 using adapters

Dave49
Organizer

I have cat 6 wire run in the walls of my home between my TV(Sony) and my Telus TV box. I have been told that I can use an HDMI to RJ45 adapter. I have purchased one through Amazon(GEATSTAR 30M HDMI to RJ45 Network Cable Extender Converter Adapter). The picture flashes very briefly and then I   get an error message. I have tried this direct from the Telus box to the TV using a cat6 patch cable as well as on a second Telus box and different brand of TV(Samsung). I get the same error message. There are other adapters on the market, but before I spend more money I'd like to know if this is technically possible. Do any of you have any knowledge of transmitting HDMI over CAT5e/6 wiring? Thanks,dave49.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep I would guess the error is about the device not being able to display HDCP protected content. This is anti-piracy protection that the content producers embed in the stream to try and prevent people from recording content and distributing it illegally. Telus is a content provider, not producer. Legally they have to leave the HDCP protection on the stream. The problem is there are many different industry standards regarding HDMI compression and the handling of HDCP. The set top box and the TV link up using a process using a "Digital handshake" and if the HDCP is not crossing over properly they will not display a video feed. There are ways around this but it involves getting a HDMI splitter or similar device that features HDCP bypass. 

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you can't move the Telus PVR adjacent to the TV, consider using a Telus secondary (wireless, but can be wired) set top box at the TV, and control your viewing through the secondary box. 

Router > Cat 6> PVR > Cat 6> Set-top box > HDMI> TV

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rc
Rockstar

What is the error message?

I am guessing it is related to hdcp copy protection error, a common problem for hdmi repeaters, splitters 

Yep I would guess the error is about the device not being able to display HDCP protected content. This is anti-piracy protection that the content producers embed in the stream to try and prevent people from recording content and distributing it illegally. Telus is a content provider, not producer. Legally they have to leave the HDCP protection on the stream. The problem is there are many different industry standards regarding HDMI compression and the handling of HDCP. The set top box and the TV link up using a process using a "Digital handshake" and if the HDCP is not crossing over properly they will not display a video feed. There are ways around this but it involves getting a HDMI splitter or similar device that features HDCP bypass. 

xray
Hero
Perhaps you are trying to solve the wrong problem. What is the reason you can't have the TELUS box next to your TV so that you can use a regular HDMI cable?

Thank you all for your replies.

I suspect that it is a hdcp copy protection issue. We have just completed a reno and have the TV mounted in a small recess above the fireplace. Our contractor had two Cat6 cables wired in to this location saying that would wouldn't need HDMI as there are adapters available to run HDMI over Cat5/6 cables. Since the cheap adapters didn't work I've been looking at the Linhaw catalogue, but I'm reluctant to spend $200.00 if they won't work. Yes, I'm aware of wireless boxes, but I'm a bit old school and prefer hard wired if possible. My next option might be to try and mount the PVR(CIS430) vertically behind the TV. I have done this in past locations but didn't find the remote use very consistent.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

As stated in my earlier post, the Wireless boxes can be hardwired, if you prefer.

The placement of a small mirror in front of the sensor on the PVR will address the remote functionality, if you wish to mount it behind the TV.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC wrote:

The placement of a small mirror in front of the sensor on the PVR will address the remote functionality, if you wish to mount it behind the TV.

I can't remember if the CIS430 has an IR extender port but the newer boxes have them.

HDCP and HDMI handshaking is finicky to start with so I wouldn't want to complicate it further with an extender in the middle. Is it possible to run an HDMI cable now through the wall? Using a real HDMI cable would be much more reliable and cheaper than buying a $200 extender. Many of the extenders only do 1080p max so if you go 4K in the future it won't work.

IslandGuy
Coach

These work over 25':  https://www.primecables.ca/p-349826-cab-e30d-primecableshdmi-extender-30m-98ft-over-utp-cable-cat5e6...

You probably only have a single CAT running through the wall so maybe: https://www.primecables.ca/p-370165-cab-e50e-openbox-hdmi-extender-50m-164ft-over-utp-cable-cat5e6-h...

Lots on Amazon..  Are you set on 720p which might help? 

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm embarrassed to say that I chose not to run an HDMI cable through the walls during our reno as I assumed( we all know what that means!) that the contractor knew what he's talking about. I'm currently on 1080 and have not gone 4K yet, but I'm planning to at some point so I want to be prepared(Telus has just run fiber to all the units in our condo). My concern with the extenders is that they currently don't appear to support 4K. I really don't want to open up the wall as it's insulated, but given what I've been learning from all of you it may be the only realistic plan.

In the past I have had an AV receiver, a media computer and a Telus box using a Logitech remote to control everything. It worked well. Post reno, as we're in a condo I decided to try to condense things a bit and I'm now using a Klispsch RSB-14 sound bar/sub for the HDMI switching and speakers but as of yet not connected the media computer. It is in a small case, but not small enough to mount behind the TV. Yes, the Sony is a smart TV but  doesn't offer the functionality of a computer. Maybe I have to look at Intel NUC type small units. Sometimes you shoot yourself in the foot and it takes awhile to get it sorted out!

Your contractor didn't do you any favors by giving you bad advice.They are supposed to know more than you, that's what you pay them for.

If the wall is exterior and insulated then you probably won't be able to fish through another cable. There are surface conduit solutions available to run cable along walls and baseboards. You can even paint them to match your walls if you have left over paint from the renovation. That would be your best bet to ensure HDCP compatibility and a 4K upgrade path for the future.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BLQPVFD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1

Thanks for your suggestions. It is an outside, insulated wall with a bump-out for the fireplace which is why we were looking for another solution rather than drilling very large holes for the pre-made HDMI cables. I should be able to drop a cable down the inside of the fireplace framing (I did take a picture during the re-framing) and use you idea of the surface conduit along the base of the wall. It appears that I will need to use 'high speed' or HDMI 1.4 cables to be compatible with 4K.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you still have the matching paint, holes are not a big deal, even if you needed to repaint the whole area over the fireplace. If your set up is something like this fireplace, it would be easy to add an HDMI cable from behind the TV then to the left or right side of the fireplace. Care to share pictures?

5fed4cae9c61d14b9e283e07e2874ddc

NFtoBC

Fireplace.jpg

A bit slow in posting this. Lots of post reno stuff like closet organizers happening.

20181215_141849.jpg

Do you have a component rack that's not in the picture or is that the permanent location of the box?

Looks like you should be able to drill a straight pass-through in the corner by the window level with the TV, run surface mount conduit down to the baseboard and then from there to where your box will be.

Use a pass through wall plate like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071X8RLJL/?coliid=I118BF6AHNQFDG&colid=2994VIFWYELUA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_...

Just curious, what is the device under the Optik box? Is that your HT receiver? It has a unusual form factor (half width).

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Using these wall mounting brackets, you should be able to fish a line, then an HDMI cable to a location on the side of the bump-out, if that will be the location of the PVR.

20181215_141849.jpg

NFtoBC

Sorry by guys, I just sent a reply(with pictures) but it got deleted/rejected as I spent too long replying...we have company for dinner,I'll try again tomorrow morning.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

We'll still be here!  Enjoy your time with friends!

NFtoBC