cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Optik TV with Shaw Internet?

JMO21
Friendly Neighbour

I currently have Telus Pure Fibre Internet 150 and 2 Optik TV boxes (1 wired to the Telus Actiontech 3200M Router and 1 wireless). 

I am having some issues with a certain video game online while a couple of my buddies who I play this game with are with Shaw as ISP and they are not having any issues with the game (latency/ping issues). We play this game quite a bit together and it gets pretty frustrating when I have issues and they do not so I really want to get this fixed, but I don't want to completely switch all services to Shaw as I love Optik TV.

I am wondering if Telus Optik TV will work with another ISP, say Shaw. I think all Optik TV requires is an internet connection, no matter the ISP but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did answer the question when I said: Optik TV requires a Telus internet connection. It will not work with Shaw.

The TV content does come from a private network from within Telus and that network is not accessible from other ISPs.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

No, it won't. Get Telus to fix the problems.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Optik TV requires a Telus internet connection. It will not work with Shaw.

With fibre your latency should be really good. You could always provide more information like what game are you playing? is your computer wired or wireless? what is the game server address?

@BillTelusCust - The latency issues may be outside Telus' network, as is usually the case. Getting peering changed is not a simple task.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk What you say is correct.

I believe the question was whether the Telus TV service would work on a Shaw internet connection. Although Shaw "Blue Sky" and Telus Optik TV both work on a TCP/IP platform, it is not the "internet" more like a private network.

I did answer the question when I said: Optik TV requires a Telus internet connection. It will not work with Shaw.

The TV content does come from a private network from within Telus and that network is not accessible from other ISPs.

viperdiablo1
Advisor

Yes you can have telus optic tv and Shaw internet together. I use it this way myself . The only thing that doesn’t work is internet apps through the telus set top boxes. Such as Netflix and YouTube.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That would still require both a Telus and Shaw connection to work.

You can use Optik TV with Shaw internet and the Netflix + Youtube apps will still work with that setup. There is still an active DSL line to give you the Optik TV, so as long as you have internet in the house there is no reason why your Netflix and Youtube apps won't work...

If your connection is struggling, I would suggest  calling into 310-2255, or chatting with us.

Technically  the Netflix and YouTube apps work through the telus stb. However the apps load slowly and never gets higher then sd quality. Which makes sense as I don’t pay for telus internet. Telus is just allocating bandwidth for the tv portion. Also forgot to mention i was halfway through my 2 year contract with telus when I canceled their internet. There is no penalty to cancel the internet Part. Only a penalty if I canceled tv. 

how did you set this up?

xray
Hero
Are you gaming over the wireless or Ethernet connection? Perhaps your issues are related to a slow WiFi connection.

JMO21
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you all for your input. I had posted an earlier thread here: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Latency-Ping-issue-to-EA-NHL-19-Servers/td-p/93480 regarding latency issues in NHL 19 on PS4. EA says to check connection issues run a pingtest/traceroute to easo.ea.com but who knows if that's actually where my connection goes during the gameplay. I have my PS4 directly wired to my Telus Actiontec 3200M router so it's not an issue of weak WIFI signal. This is the only game I experience this with but my Shaw buddies say they don't have this issue. Basically, in about half the games I play, my controller inputs are 1/2 second to 1 second delayed, very annoying to play with.

Anyway, was just wondering Shaw Internet with Optik TV was possible and it seems that are conflicting viewpoints. Some say it works and some say it doesn't. I think I'm going to try it for myself and see if the issue goes away with NHL 19.

Although, I'd be more than willing to have Telus (or EA) track or log my connection during gameplay if that's possible to see what's going on and find the problem.

Don’t ask questions if you aren’t going to believe the people who take the trouble to answer.
If you buy them separately, the Telus Optik will still come in a Telus connection, not the “Shaw” one but you may be able to convince them to cancel the internet portion of your Telus service. Then the “Telus” data connection would only carry the TV, but it would *still* not be *on* the Shaw internet.

Sent from my iPad