Telus Home Assistant/Google Home - not linking/broken

ADC
Connector

Hello,

Any idea why this is not working? Id like to link my Google Home to my Telus Account so that I can voice control my OptikTV box via GH but I cannot because of some "broken link"

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/telus-home-assistant-beta

I realize this is beta, but I'd also like to be part of the beta program if possible.

thanks

ADC
Connector

I should mention that I am a resident of Alberta.

Community Power User
Community Power User

What steps are you taking?  I had some difficulty setting it up at first, as it wasn't properly loading on Google Assistant. I also believe you need to be on Fibre.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
I setup mine from the link you provide over a month ago without any real issues. It works on copper as well. 😀 Althogh faster to use the remote vs commanding it.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/set-up-telus-home-assistant-on-your-google-home-device

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
ADC
Connector
Thanks. I'm following the instructions on the link, but where the problems arise is when I log in into telus with my credentials on my Wi-Fi (fiber) it says "couldn't update the settings. Check your connection" that's where it stops.
JT1
Resident
I have been trying to setup mine for almost a month now. Getting the same error every single time. Followed the instructions mentioned in the post but getting the "Couldn't update the settings. Check your connection" error.

Hi Folks, sorry to hear that there have been setup issues with your accounts. Because this product remains in Beta, difficulties like this are to be expected. However, if you're experiencing prolonged issues with linking your accounts, then our technical support at 1-888-811-2323 will be able to send a trouble ticket to the development team. You can also chat with them online, using the "Chat" tab at the bottom of the following page.

ADC
Connector
This is what I found out, right now, this is only open to telus employees. They will open to some customers on Jan 28. Call the optik fiber team, they can put you on the list of beta testers. The list is not open now so I will call back on Jan 28.
jkroeker
Resident

I was able to connect Telus Home Assistant in the Google Home app, but when I ask my Google Home to control the Optik box (change channels, for example) it says it's not there.   I've just started playing with it so hopefully it's just user error.  

ADC
Connector

that's interesting. I'm still not getting mine to link. It says " Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection." after I sign in with my telus credentials.

jkroeker
Resident

I did a bit more playing with it and found that it worked with Google Assistant on my phone, but not our Google Home.   Intriguing.   Taking a closer look at the Google Home setup, I realized that it was set up using my wife's Google account.   Sure enough, when I got her to test it, it worked fine with the Google Home.   It looks like the sharing for Google Home wasn't set up properly.  

ADC
Connector

thanks, I tried again via the assistant on my phone, but get the same road block.

Could you tell me exactly how you went through Assistant? When open the assistant and press the explore button, I search for Telus home assistant, and it bring brings me to a webpage that talks about it, then press setup and it brings me to "Home control" and list my devices and rooms. When I press plus, its brings me to the same route the google home does.

ADC
Connector
I solved the issue by making an optik account and logging in with that. I'm now able to control my optik boxes with GH.