cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technician spreading misinformation

TekyJeff
Just Moved In

Can you tell me why a Telus technician would suggest to a client with 6Mbps service that she could buy a "smart hub" to "boost her speed to 25Mbps"?

Or that her multifunction printer is "draining her Internet speed" by being plugged in as a fax machine?

Or that she should upgrade her computer when that's not going to get her faster Internet speed?

I will go tomorrow and speak sense to this person instead of the nonsense that the Telus technician was spreading.

6 REPLIES 6

xray
Hero
Why was the TELUS tech there to begin with?

@xray wrote:
Why was the TELUS tech there to begin with?

The reason I ask this is if the tech was there because the customer complained about slow Internet speed then it's reasonable to make these recommendations.

6Mbps isn't actually slow, you can stream 1hd and 1 sd 24x7 on that.

This idea that you NEED higher and higher speed is nonsense. I love the availability, buuut, unless you're broadcasting video , it's all bogus. What you NEED

Is better ping times, less line jitter, a friend in 2009 was accused of downloading 500gb of stuff on a 5Mbps line copper adsl, in 2 weeks.

I've had 3 optic tv boxes and Internet all netfk8x youtibe etv running on adsl 15Mbps, down , 5 up,
I switched to the 20s only to get the higher up speed, of 10.

I've idiot friends who don't understand why and how things slowdown and believe the false sales pitch.

In 97 even 01 tel7s was selling high speed broadband adsl it was 1.2 Mbps people downloaded tons of music and video just with that, was on news even.

Besides speed is dependant on sending website and how busy it is. Show me one website that will send non files to you at 75 or even 25 24x7 none exist

Chicnstu
Leader

@TekyJeff wrote:

Can you tell me why a Telus technician would suggest to a client with 6Mbps service that she could buy a "smart hub" to "boost her speed to 25Mbps"?

Or that her multifunction printer is "draining her Internet speed" by being plugged in as a fax machine?

Or that she should upgrade her computer when that's not going to get her faster Internet speed?

I will go tomorrow and speak sense to this person instead of the nonsense that the Telus technician was spreading.

Smart Hubs are used in many communities where the max landline ADSL speed is 6 or 15 mbps. The hubs run at 25mbps provided they have decent cell signal. Many people run on hubs instead of landline services in these areas.

The printer could impact her internet speed but only of the inside wiring of the home wasn't configured to have the modem jack on a dedicated line back to POTS splitter that filters the home phone dial tone with the ADSL service running on it. If this was the case, the tech should have just configured the wiring so it would be running in this manner unless the demarcation point where all the jack wires meet is concealed behind drywall or is somewhere else that is not easily accessible.

Upgrading a computer can indeed provide faster performance if the network card/adapter in the existing machine has a max attainable speed that is less than the speed the customer subscribes to. This however doesn't sound like it may be the case for her unless her laptop or PC is extremely old.

All of these things he said are valid in certain circumstances, some of which may not be applicable here. It would depend on her needs and usage habits for internet and the equipment she is using in the home.

Welcome to 1997 lol, forget all that and get satellite Internet. They advertise on TV. It's 25mbps and more. Free install,

Minky
Ambassador

I am skeptical of what is written by people posting their first and only post...