cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200 firmware update last night drops TV on bridged RT-AC68U

JohnnyBad
Friendly Neighbour

I have my Optik box behind my ASUS RT-AC68U. The firmware on the T3200 took an update last night, now the TV locks after 15 seconds, change channel it works for 15, then drops. If i take the 3200 out of bridge mode the TV will work flawlessly off the ASUS, but no internet from the ASUS network. In bridged mode the internet works but TV locks. The setup worked for ever before the firmware update on the T3200.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Syaoran
Rockstar

Have you updated your router lately?  There was a firmware update for the RT-AC68W on August 15th.  The W and U variants the same internally although the W doesn't have a revision two because the revision 2 is the revision 1 U hardware.  You might want to update it, if you haven't already, to see if that helps.  My guess would be that Telus has done something to stop the use of third party equipment with their stuff to help reduce potential conflicts and issues.  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try putting the TVs on the T3200M and see what happens.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

JohnnyBad
Friendly Neighbour

Works like a charm. Just like if i take the router out of bridged mode and keep the box plugged into the ASUS. The deeper question is what changed in the 3200. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@JohnnyBad wrote:

The deeper question is what changed in the 3200. 

That secret will not likely be shared with folks like you & me.

NFtoBC

Chat support has the release notes...I didn't save the conversation but there wasn't much some option for a WiFi control app coming soon.

Syaoran
Rockstar

Have you updated your router lately?  There was a firmware update for the RT-AC68W on August 15th.  The W and U variants the same internally although the W doesn't have a revision two because the revision 2 is the revision 1 U hardware.  You might want to update it, if you haven't already, to see if that helps.  My guess would be that Telus has done something to stop the use of third party equipment with their stuff to help reduce potential conflicts and issues.  

JohnnyBad
Friendly Neighbour

Great answer. Thank you. Totally understand the stance on the potential conflicts.

I have turned into a bit of a security freak lately due to having credit cards compromised too many times in the past year. Changed DNS servers, subscribed to a VPN service, AI network protection enabled on my router, and check for firmware updates on it pretty much weekly. Firmware is up to date, updated on the 15th 😉 

From my perspective, TELUS has generally been relatively good at not locking things down too tight. It drives me nuts when changes are made and there is no explanation why. It would be nice to see TELUS publish a "what and why" when changes are made that affect customers. I believe they do these things based on stats. i.e. By filtering the TV signal at bridged port 1, we expect to see a reduction of repair calls by X% resulting in an an annual cost savings of $Y. 

In the mean time, we get to hack things to make them work. Thanks again for the suggested fix, and the speculation on why it may have been done. 

It tends to be a common answer when things suddenly stop working for no reason. It's similar to ISP's locking out bridging mode on their modems. Have you tried tried a switch instead of the router? I have an old Asus 8-port switch I use behind my TV for everything to simplify everything connected. It might be worth a try as one more layer between you and the outside world, if you have one. They are relatively cheap as well.

JohnnyBad
Friendly Neighbour

Silly me. Hooked my ASUS up directly to the ONT and everything is back to normal. For some reason i thought the 3200 had to be in the chain (like a DSL modem) for it to work. Time, effort and research is all it takes! Good day, sunshine.... 😉 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In many instances, non-Telus routers do not handle the multicast requirements for Optik, thus the suggestion to leave the Actiontec in line. Seems you are fortunate in selecting a router which does address multicast.

NFtoBC

JohnnyBad
Friendly Neighbour

You bet. I've been an ASUS fan for a long time. I'm going to buy another and set up their AIMesh for wireless. I've got the house wired up with scads of cat5/6, but the wireless has been a bit sketchy. I like to have control and i get tunnel vision when someone messes with the setup. Hence the elimination of the actiontec.