cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch between Actiontec ECB6200 and Optik PVR

Jbirdius
Friendly Neighbour
Hello.

So. To start my setup right now is my modem is in our utility room. Our PVR is connected to the ECB6200 (coax to ethernet). Where my PVR is there are multiple devices I'd like to have hard wired instead of wireless.

I tried installing a switch between the PVR and the ECB6200, but when I do that our wireless box loses connection to the PVR after about 30 minutes or so. The Live TV continues to function fine.

I'm using a DIR-825 with uPnP and DHCP disabled. The subnet mask is set to that of the Telus modem. Ethernet plugged into port 1, not WAN. And Xbox One, PVR, and PS4 plugged into 2, 3 and 4.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks for the help.
8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The DIR-825 is not a switch. It's a ten year old router. Using an actual gigabit switch is cheaper than a router and just works right out of the box. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Jbirdius
Friendly Neighbour
It is- it's an old router that I had sitting around so I tried it. But I set it up as a switch using the instructions. I will buy another switch if I need to, but I don't know why this wouldn't work, which is why I'm asking.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

With a 10 year old device, and firmware from Dlink that doesn't natively support it functioning as a switch, bridge or repeater, there could be any number of reasons why it won't work stably when following the instructions posted online. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Jbirdius
Friendly Neighbour
Alright thanks. You don't have to assume I'm Jimmy rigging it from some random internet instructions, though. I'm following the instruction book from D-Link for connecting the DIR 825 to a router. Regardless. I'll try a couple of things on my own and if can't get it to work I'll buy a switch I guess.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The same instructions are posted on Dlink's site as well so I'm sure they're not random.

Jbirdius
Friendly Neighbour
But long story short. You wouldn't see there being any issues doing what I'm doing with a proper switch?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

A regular gigabit switch should work fine. I've got 3 in use in my home network. One is for my PVR and devices hooked to that TV. 

Try to minimize the amount of devices that are sharing connections on the same switch with the PVR. The ECB6200 moca adapter that is feeding it is meant to be a dedicated connection straight to the PVR and adding more devices on that same line can cause issues especially with the higher bandwidth requirements of the 4k PVRs. While they may work fine in a setup like you're describing it is not the desired set up and you may experience issues with your recording playback on all set top boxes on the network.