Speed issues with the ZTE MF275R Smarthub

klrman
Friendly Neighbour

I went down to 1mbps or less but it has recovered again after I called Telus about it.  They said they reset something.

Highlighted
klrman
Friendly Neighbour

I'm a 24 year customer of telus and they sure have gone downhill fast.  My zte smart hub has degraded very badly.  Not always, but often enough that is has been a real let down with speeds as low as 0.1 mbps on occasion.  I did get a call from telus customer service stating they over subscribed the towers but no offer to fix this. 

Kowalevsky
Resident

Now that I have read this post below, I wonder why TELUS, did not suggest I get an antenna? I live 11 km East of Hinton Alberta, on Hwy 16 eastbound my home is about 400 ft from highway 16. My BELL cell works fine here...LOL I have had terrible service since I got my hub, I ordered it Oct 25, they mailed it Oct 26th, it arrived via Canada Post Oct 30, I played with it a couple days and thought wow, this thing really SUCKS. So I started speed testing at various hours of the day my average download speed was 2.75 MB/s and upload was 1.5 MB/s. I was baffled as I had friends who stayed in their RV on my property when they were working in this area and their Hub worked awesome, I would go to their place to get good internet. LOL. They hung their hub outside of their RV in a waterproof bag when they used it. I contacted Telus, got ticket number because tech was busy, they called the next day,I missed their call, i returned call next day, left a message, they called again & left me. Message and then threw away my my ticket, I called and left them 2 more messages i waited a couple days but none of my calls were returned. I called telus again and 1 our later i was given a new ticket number, and this last Thursday I was advised by Telus tech that they had to link to link me to other towers because I am not really in the hub service area, and that they should have advised me of this, and that a cell booster amplifier might help my service. Naturally, as life would have it, I spent the next day searching Hinton, for a 2100MHZ amplifier, needless to say no one had one..... so I have to order online. So I called telus today to see if I could get an extension of my 30 day trial period, because the delays and services issues were caused by telus and not by me, because i have not had enough internet service, or speed to see if it works and I am paying $110/month, (I am willing to spend more money to get good internet, i.e. antenna, booster which will be about $800.00) I actually think my hub is deficit, but they will not extend the 30 day trial policy. It is a shame ..... because I would hook up the telus hub at mom and dads acreage near Onoway, if mine worked good, but we will never know... I do know it did not work well for me. I explained I wanted two hubs when I ordered mine, but I will hook up with one of the more reputable internet providers The best rule of thumb is ....never deal with a company that has ridiculous policies, that can not be amended or changed based on circumstances. My calls are all reported on my account file, and I am sure some details are left out, I have spent countless hours talking to not so smart persons about my smart hub! Th first call alone was 1.5 hours before I was disconnected while being transferred to my 4th department / person, and 2 hours the second time, and 3 more people, which I had to verify who I was, and re-explain this whole mess to each time, while they escalated my service needs request, which I got a call back from a sales rep who wanted me to sign up for 2 year contract or transfer me to tech for help....she didn’t even hear what my needs were they could do nothing for me, other than aggravate me further, Thanks Pryia I’m Done, with STUPID HUB. I am curious to see how long it will take to get my credit on my account back from Telus.

Smart_Guy
Resident

I had exactly the same experience with this hub as other posts indicate.  I got mine hooked up last July, we live south of Calgary, just outside High River, and after 8 years of the worst service possible from Xplornet, trying out 4 different technologies, this hub was a godsend.  Xplornet would put up a new tower and oversell it, and just bog everyone down at night with speeds of 1 MBPS or less.   With the new Telus hub, during certain parts of the day, we would get 50 MBPS, and the slowest speed after supper was about 30 MBPS.  We were in heaven.  

But gradually from then until now, it started getting slower over the past 5 months as they sold more of these hubs in our area, now we are lucky to get 20 MBPS as our fastest speed but goes right down to 1 or 2 MPBS in the evening, sometimes even less than a 1 speed.  Netflix will just stop working and surfing the web becomes painful.  We are back to the Xplornet world now of crappy service and slow speeds.   Telus has sold so many of these hubs now, the speeds have deteriorated to the point of making streaming impossible at night, it has really spoiled it for everyone with hubs in the area. 

There has to be upgrades to the tower or new towers to handle the increased loading if Telus wants to keep selling these hubs.  We have gone from hating Xplornet to hating Telus.  I have reported this to the Telus technical people ( only a 2.5 hour wait, more crappy service) and they have made an internal trouble ticket for it, and they can only encourage customers to complain so Telus has a clue what is going on with their Hubs.  

In summary, Telus has to stop selling these hubs until they have the tower capacity to support them. 

Smart_Guy
Resident

Should also mention that I have tried resetting the hub, disconnecting the power, etc. and nothing helps or changes. I do get better speeds when it reconnects but it is only temporary and then slows right back down to where it was.   When I log on to the ZTE website to my hub, I tried changing the setting to "4 G only" as I have read in other posts, but software would not allow me to do that and it probably would not have helped anyway.   It works fine during the day at about 20 MBPS but after supper, it slows down further and further, being slowest between 9 PM and 10 PM.  Can't even watch Neflix anymore.   Then it gradually starts getting faster again towards midnight.   So it is just so many people using their hubs at the same time plus cell phone use.

It appears Telus got greedy and did not think ahead to the consequences on speed of selling so many hubs on existing towers. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Smart_Guy

Your experience seems to parallel the experience many had with cable-based internet - the nodes would be so overloaded during prime time that throughput suffered for all users on that loop. Only corrected by increasing the bandwidth to the nodes. Telus would have a similar problem, except raising towers in any particular area is an expensive proposition.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Maddash79
Resident

@Smart Guy

We have the same issue in Black Diamond, just south west of Calgary. Originally we had Telus home service internet which rivaled only dial up in its speed and frequent dropout in internet service.  Completing the research myself, I found out about the "Smart Hub". I purchased the Smart Hub and was assured by the Telus representative that it would show the same speeds as my cell phone, depending on my distance from the tower.  I was one of the first in the area to start using it and speed tested the connection weekly. It started at over 70 MB/sec down consistently and each week I noticed a consistent drop by 10 MB/sec. This morning it was so bad I couldn't even check my email. After the typical three hour phone pass around at Telus I was told that the speed is what I pay for. Same connection to the tower that my LTE cell phone has, which consistently speed tests at over 100 MB/sec. I called and asked why they couldn't unthrottle the hub and the service providers would pay more if the service was good. I was told no offer is available in our area like that.  My question is this,  why were our speeds so good off the start but now the towers are saturated and this thing is essentially a paper weight. After five hours on the phone with them this morning, they could not answer this question. There are no other service providers out here and Telus is very aware of this.   The representative on the phone told me to just cancel my service and try the other guys. I have been with Telus for twenty-four years and in the last 7 months the company is spiraling towards the worst I have ever had to deal with. Beware and don't buy this throttled piece of equipment. Strangely enough, after my five  hour go around on the phone,our speeds went right up to 25 MB/sec but Telus assures me they have no control over speeds. Time will tell.

Ian8282
Resident
Exact same story for me here. I'm just west of Edmonton. Internet has been a constant battle. Started with Platinum communications. They served me well for years. But got bought by xplornet and everything fell apart. I finally got so fed up, I thought I would try Telus' smart hub. it worked like a dream at first when I got it last March. Started having issues with it in May, then again in August. The first time it was resolved quickly. The second, it took countless phone calls and time before I finally got back use of the service I had payed for, but was not getting. About a month ago it started giving me nothing but grief again, I keep phoning; and wasting my time with their undertrained call centre staff only to get no resolution. Only promises that their engineers will contact me about the issue, and I never get a call back. This to me is completely unacceptable service and I would be embarrassed to be part of such a pathetically managed company.
After doing a bit more digging, I find that the issue is that Telus oversold their bandwidth (this is illegal) so they could make more money.
A class action suit comes to mind. These pricks should be held accountable for their breach of contract.
Wotan
Resident

Hi, have the same issues with the ZTE MF 275 R Smart Hub. Now, I found this antenna:  https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01B6MLP36/?coliid=I2PLNS8ZD4OHLU&colid=2LUFGVMXYZ9XH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_...

Would that be the best solution or an overkill?

klrman
Friendly Neighbour

I've read the antenna doesn't help much since telus oversold too much.  I finally gave up on my smarthub today.  It was very good in the beginning and then degraded super fast until it has become really annoying.  Too bad telus is not the telus of old.