So Why Cant i ping my ip and why do people get old ips that you used before. is the DDos plus on?

MultipleSaves
Neighbour

try to ping my ip but says timed out is this me or is on your guys ends is it  because the DDos Plus is on home internet?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Most routers will not respond when pinged. It's not unusual.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Since your IP address is dynamically assigned, rather than being static, it is entirely likely that, at times, folks will have your previous IP address.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
MultipleSaves
Neighbour

so basicly when theirs a ddos attack on that ip that you have basicly gets hit and then you guys just like take the ddos attack out and release that ip back to whoever or are the ips basicly like a vpn. and is their anyway i can get a static ip or a way to on get a ddos attack cause i hit offline alot from ddosers

Community Power User
Community Power User

I think you may not quite understand that a distributed denial of service attack is. If you had a DDoS, your modem will be online but your connection would be flooded with incoming data saturating your connection. That is something Telus will be able to see at a network level. If you were able to get a different IP (after leaving your modem unplugged long enough), and still had the issue, you either have a virus/botnet infesting something in your house, or it's not a DDoS and is just a unstable connection.

Now if you simply have connection issues, which is infinitely more likely than a DDoS, you will need to troubleshoot your hardware on your end and then talk with Telus and have them check your connection. If you're on wireless, that can be impacted by many environmental factors.

MultipleSaves
Neighbour

i have no issues until i get a ddos attack and ok so basicly when you renew that ip does that ip go offline or does go to something to fix and give to folks in my local area

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sounds like you have a connection issue, not a DDoS. You keep the same IP when you renew it. The IP isn't restricted to a local area near you if you lose the lease on it. Please call Telus and follow the troubleshooting steps they advise. You are not experiencing a DDoS. A DDoS can last days in some cases and they rarely target end users home connections.