Shaw upgrading internet from 150/300 to 300/600 for free

Kirstenn
Resident

I saw the same thing and was wondering myself!  Following as I am interested in the response.

mrhector
Connector

@Kolby_G wrote:

I don't use consumer crap here never have never will .

Then you should easily be able to configure your router to work for the Telus TV system.

you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise

I get 330/340 on Telus and 338/28 on Shaw. That is less than 1/10th the upload speed on Shaw. Tell me again how Shaw is faster? Last time I checked they were within $5 of each other, however, I would gladly pay a couple dollars more for 10x the speed.

DATA usage was 250GB to 300GB a month with this **bleep** telus i see half that in a week 

The data that my router reports and what Shaw/Telus report are within a few GB of each other every month. That being said most plans on both sides are unlimited now, so who cares?

why are pings horrible

Well, that depends what you are calling "horrible" and what you are ping testing to. Perhaps share some screenshots of your ping tests to various locations.

and it is better not using the telus crappy router  

Well, ya, of course it is, just like its better to not use the crappy Shaw router. Neither are great. There is nothing stopping you from using your own.

Price wise they are no longer within $5 of each other.  Looking at the regular posted rates you are now looking at ($110 + $15 unlim data)  $125 for Telus 300/300 vs $110 for Shaw 300/15 or $120 for Shaw 600/20. This is for regular non-contract pricing without credits on either.  So for $5 less a month you're looking at double the download speed or $15 less for the same download speed. 

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@mrhector wrote:

Price wise they are no longer within $5 of each other.  Looking at the regular posted rates you are now looking at ($110 + $15 unlim data)  $125 for Telus 300/300 vs $110 for Shaw 300/15 or $120 for Shaw 600/20. This is for regular non-contract pricing without credits on either.  So for $5 less a month you're looking at double the download speed or $15 less for the same download speed. 

Ya, I see when you take in to account the new Shaw speeds they are a bit further apart in price. I would assume that Telus will be matching that in the next couple weeks though.

Although you would get double the download speed with the new highest Shaw plan, you would also be getting 1/15th the upload speed. IMO, that is a huge advantage for Telus, Shaw's upload speeds are still hilariously slow. When/If Telus matches the new Shaw speeds, this gap will increase to 1/30th the upload speed, and the download speed would be the same.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Kolby_G wrote:

Although you would get double the download speed with the new highest Shaw plan, you would also be getting 1/15th the upload speed. IMO, that is a huge advantage for Telus, Shaw's upload speeds are still hilariously slow. When/If Telus matches the new Shaw speeds, this gap will increase to 1/30th the upload speed, and the download speed would be the same.

High download speeds have the most benefit when you have a large number of connections at your home / business. In most instances, other than on speed testing sites, or if downloading large ISO from server farms, most sites cannot serve the information you want at anywhere near these speeds.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Kolby_G
Ambassador

@NFtoBC wrote:

High download speeds have the most benefit when you have a large number of connections at your home / business. In most instances, other than on speed testing sites, or if downloading large ISO from server farms, most sites cannot serve the information you want at anywhere near these speeds.

Very true,

There are more and more platforms that can make use of crazy high download speeds nowadays, but typically only the large companies have servers that can come close. We have gigabit at work, and I still typically max around 400Mbps even from Microsoft or Adobe, two that I usually find to have some of the fastest connections.

The only place that I can consistently max out my work connection, is our private VMs in Azure & AWS. Even speed tests have trouble.

This is again why IMO, the upload speed that Telus offers is far more important. I max out my upload far more often than maxing my download.

valiaig
Advocate

@YouNoIt wrote:

From my experience i should never of left Shaw telus sucks in every way tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube .gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing !!! 

7850130282.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-03 at 17.56.05.png

Kolby_G
Ambassador

gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing

What are your ping times with Telus? The ping times you are getting on Shaw are pretty good, and I see that those tests were taken today so I assume you still have both connections. The download speed is pretty inconsistent though, You should be getting consistently >300mbps unless you are in an area with a saturated node. Can you run a speed test on the Telus connection? As I have mentioned previously, the most obvious advantage that Telus fiber has over Shaw is the upload speed, but seeing as you are getting such inconsistent download speed results on Shaw, another benefit for you would likely be getting the advertised speed more often. You're are getting only 16Mbps upload on Shaw, you should get around 300Mbps on Telus.

tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube

While I can't comment on the guide, as I have not personally had TV service in over 10 years, I can tell you that comparing TV quality to Youtube is a bit silly. Youtube, for the most part, has better picture quality than TV. >4K resolution is supported on Youtube, while last time I checked, most TV channels are still broadcasting at 1080i/p. Shaw has no 4K boxes to my knowledge, and although Telus seems to, I doubt very many channels support that resolution.

valiaig
Advocate

@Kolby_G wrote:

gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing

What are your ping times with Telus? The ping times you are getting on Shaw are pretty good, and I see that those tests were taken today so I assume you still have both connections. The download speed is pretty inconsistent though, You should be getting consistently >300mbps unless you are in an area with a saturated node. Can you run a speed test on the Telus connection? As I have mentioned previously, the most obvious advantage that Telus fiber has over Shaw is the upload speed, but seeing as you are getting such inconsistent download speed results on Shaw, another benefit for you would likely be getting the advertised speed more often. You're are getting only 16Mbps upload on Shaw, you should get around 300Mbps on Telus.

tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube

While I can't comment on the guide, as I have not personally had TV service in over 10 years, I can tell you that comparing TV quality to Youtube is a bit silly. Youtube, for the most part, has better picture quality than TV. >4K resolution is supported on Youtube, while last time I checked, most TV channels are still broadcasting at 1080i/p. Shaw has no 4K boxes to my knowledge, and although Telus seems to, I doubt very many channels support that resolution.

I will post on Friday its when Talus will come to connect me to. inconsistent - it was good until upgrade. Their Cable Modems both have chip problem PUMA 6 and 7 and as it  seem have no fix for almost 3 years now the higher stream become more problem connection will have. I just when to see my neighbors speeds on TELUS which is done FTTH - He has 3 4K boxes 2 4K TVs like I do He has both streams at 357~385  so TELUS can beat Shaw, if they want to any day. There is no question of IF , but as to WHEN. Since in my area multi-use condo in Calgary will be gating 1000 down/up I know it will come latest is in 2019.

Haussie
Connector

Dear Telus,

Please match ASAP,  thanks. Recently converted long time shaw customer! Pure Fiber FTW, time to show up those dweebs!

Thanks!

Community Power User
Community Power User
Telus already blows them away on upload speeds and download in some areas already. Things will only get better as TELUS keeps expanding FTTH.
Paul_C
Friendly Neighbour

I read somewhere (probably here) that TELUS is testing 1Gbps and even 10Gbps service over Fiber.  If that's true, they should no issues beating Shaw at this offer.

Here's to hoping (raised mug)!

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@Paul_C wrote:

I read somewhere (probably here) that TELUS is testing 1Gbps and even 10Gbps service over Fiber.  If that's true, they should no issues beating Shaw at this offer.

They had 1Gbps offered for a while but it wasn't symmetrical (950/300 IIRC). I see it has since been taken off the site, but from what I understand you can still order it.

I would gladly volunteer to be part of the 10Gbps beta test if it was available in my area. Having my WAN connection as fast as my LAN would be simply amazing.

valiaig
Advocate

@Kolby_G wrote:

@Paul_C wrote:

They had 1Gbps offered for a while but it wasn't symmetrical (950/300 IIRC). I see it has since been taken off the site, but from what I understand you can still order it.

I would gladly volunteer to be part of the 10Gbps beta test if it was available in my area. Having my WAN connection as fast as my LAN would be simply amazing.

They do offer 1 Gbps in British Columbia

Its coming to Alberta soon from what I see out of my house and how they were  installing infrastructure in our brand new community. I would asume mt community will get 1Gbps first in whole of Calgary by the size of their investment. Its Jaw drooping Shaw is Calgary based but even they try to do their upgrades insanely slow. I voiced my opinion on Shaw to community developer snd to the area manager. Asking to look into Telus. So they found a way to bring  it to  my street  by starting project at Westman Village. I don't know and don't care if Shaw Lost Franchising deal/ Their prices were insane and so builder give me Welcome Home promo code for a year. But its seems as if you sign for franchising deal with Sgaw they in long term start to milk new homeowners with crazy prices. My previous home had Purefibre and showed area manager speeds I am getting and so 3 weeks later when even my hose was in planing stage they made a deal with Telus to bring their infrastructure in the area.

http://westmanvillage.com/assets/Uploads/TELUS-Westman-Village-Resident-Offer-Latest.pdf

Its good when your builder listen to you and to your voice on such amazing level. Of course iit all depends on Sales manager but our guy was nothing but a hero in our book.

On Telus end escalation team was amazing as well though the might hate me because I called them nearly every month to speed up process orto ask why one team is done and other didn't come to do its job. Next morning, after I  call there is an army of construction crew, even on weekends. They probably hate me in infrustructure planining and call centre. But hey I did it for greater good....  Cat WinkSmiley Very Happy

Ubetiam
Resident

I downgraded in November from 300 down to 75... I thought I didn't need the speed.. until my google music streaming started to buffer and became impossible to enjoy. That's when you realize just how many things are connected - 1 PC, 1 laptop, 2 tablets, 2 smartphones, 2 TVs, 1 Roku, 5 google homes (yes, 1 in each room + the bathroom) , 10 smart outlets &  smart light... and inevitably more devices in the near future.  Not to mention the friends and family that come over and ask for the WIFI password

I was already getting ready to bump back up when I saw Shaw's launch of 600 and doubling speeds for existing 150/300 clients.

When I called on December 4 to increase the speed, I asked the TELUS rep... she confirmed its coming "any day". So I bumped back to 300 and eagerly awaiting to be double to 600

vishwa
Ambassador

I must say I am pleasantly surprised.  Surprised because I didn't think Telus would react to this and up the speed as they already had 300/300-much higher upload.  Pleasantly because, I have 300 and while it really doesn't make a difference, I would still be very happy to have 600.  Let us see what happens. Thanks for posting that.

Haussie
Connector
Telus should show up Shaw! Go for the jugular and go 750/750 up and down ! Put Shaw to shame !
Kolby_G
Ambassador

@Haussie wrote:
Telus should show up Shaw! Go for the jugular and go 750/750 up and down ! Put Shaw to shame !

Looks like they did. These are the new plans on the "Order" page. My current plan has yet to increase, but I'm sure it will in a couple days.

Capture.PNG

Haussie
Connector
Kolby_g. I don’t see a free upgrade there 🤷‍♂️ Like Shaw. Let’s hope this is just cuz of the soft launch snafus !
mrhector
Connector

@Kolby_G wrote:

@Haussie wrote:

Looks like they did. These are the new plans on the "Order" page. My current plan has yet to increase, but I'm sure it will in a couple days.

Capture.PNG

Yeah they added new more expensive plans, but the price is still the same.  Doesn't look like they are going to compete against the 600mbps Shaw plan. Still priced around the same as the Telus 300.

Haussie
Connector
I think I am feeling a little let down by these ! Making me a little upset ! Come on TELUS ! I have faith you can do better !