cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Router for Guest Suite

SkepticMedic
Friendly Neighbour
I want to setup a completely separate network (wired and wifi access for our guest suite. Can I simply plug another router into the T3200?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rc
Rockstar

Yes.

So that the users in the suite cannot access any devices on your network you may want to bridge the second router to the Internet via port one bridging on the t3200. Info on how to  do this is on this forum.

If you are on fibre then you could connect a switch to the ONT and the routers to the switch.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rc
Rockstar

Yes.

So that the users in the suite cannot access any devices on your network you may want to bridge the second router to the Internet via port one bridging on the t3200. Info on how to  do this is on this forum.

If you are on fibre then you could connect a switch to the ONT and the routers to the switch.

SkepticMedic
Friendly Neighbour
I am on fiber. So I'm better off installing a switch off of the LAN port on the Alcatel fiber modem then connecting 1) the T3200m for my Optik equipment
2) router for my main home network (computers, home automation hubs, NVR with POE network cameras, wifi, etc)
3) 2nd router for the guest suite (LAN & wifi)

I would go with @rc 's recommendation of putting a gigabit switch between the ONT and your 2 routers. You could configure the new router to work with Optik but it's just easier to use the T3200. Consider putting a smart power switch like a WeMo or TP Link on the guest router so that you can easily turn it on/off remotely. No point having it on when you have no guests and your WiFi signal on T3200 will have less interference.

SkepticMedic
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for the replies. I think I've got it planned out now. Let's see if it all works.

SkepticMedic
Friendly Neighbour
I am on fiber. So am I better off installing a switch off of the LAN port on the Alcatel fiber modem then connecting 1) the T3200m for my Optik equipment
2) router for my main home network (computers, home automation hubs, NVR with POE network cameras, wifi, etc)
3) 2nd router for the guest suite (LAN & wifi)?

Idiotproof solution :

This will preserve all 4 outputs of your T3200 and guarantee guest suite cannot interfere with your set-up. (Was mentioned by others, here's my 2 cents, a step by step to help others)

1) Aquire " GIgabit Network Switch" (powered) doesn't need to be more than 4 or 5 port

2) 2 peices of GB rated Ethernet cable

Attachment Procedure :

Disconect power from Ont and T3200.

From Ont (Nokia Optical Network Terminator )

Attach 1 wire Ethernet cable to switch, any port (I use last port usually 4 or 5)

This provides: obvious physical separation from wires going to routers.

Plug in the Ethernet wire that was connecting your Actiontec T3200 into the Not, to port 1 if the switch.

Power everything back up , make sure all works like before.

Now plug in a Ethernet cable into port 2 and connect that to your second router (Wi-Fi)

No need to disconnect Network switch or Ont or t3200 power, before connecting 2nd router .

Plug in the Ethernet Cable into Port 2 ( 2 for second router)

It should aquire a WAN IP from your internet service provider (direct from Telus) when you power it up.

If second router lights up , yet there is not any internet, you need to call Telus/isp and tell them to enable your second included WAN IP. Aka register it's MAC to your account.

Depending on who you get they may or may not understand and will give you guff, tell them you need advanced tech support.

This way you are , on two true different networks,

Plus it's super easy!

People who game or use other situations where they want a solid connection not interfered with by thier mom watching 4k streams or whatever else do this. Also any situation where you need separation.

I.e.
kids and adults network
Work and Multimedia

This also works on Non Fibre systems

Simply use DSL or Cable modem in place of ONT. If they plugged cable or pots/phone line directly into you're combo Wi-Fi/router/modem unit,

you will need to have them send you a True Modem (has 1 Ethernet output and 1 phone line or Cable coax input , just like ONT has optical input)

xray
Hero
You also need to use a different IP address range on the other router to establish a separate subnet. Use any non-routable IP range other than 192.168.1.* which is being used by the T3200.

You may need to set up the subnet of the other router before you plug it into the T3200 otherwise there might be a collision. Some routers are smart enough to automatically change it's LAN subnet based on the IP it gets on the WAN side. Check the user manual.

SkepticMedic
Friendly Neighbour
Would you recommend another router connected to the gateway for my main network as well or just run my main network off of the T3200m and the siuite network off of the secondary router? My optik equipment needs to connect directly to the T3200m correct?