cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router help!!

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
I’m trying my best to find out online how to use my netgear r6300 router as opposed to my t2200h. I just had 150/150 installed today, and I want to use my router. I ran tests and with the Telus one I get about 70/80, and with my router I got 170/180. The thing is, I cannot connect my Xbox to my routers wifi. All I want is to bypass the Telus modem, as I had it before I got the 150/150. I tried transparent bridging, but it says I’m an invalid user. Thank you in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just hooked up my linksys wireless router to the new Telus wireless router I had installed.

My linksys was installed in my home office, and is hardwired to my printer and desktop computer so I wanted to keep wired connections to these devices, not to mention I want easier control of my home wireless network.

The telus modem is located in a different room, so I had to determine which wire was running to my home office. Here is what I had to do to keep using all of the existing settings on my linksys. There was one bigger problem that my router was using subnet 255.255.255.0, and so was the telus router. Both routers were trying to run on 192.168.1.x. From what I understand you cannot have two routers running on the same subnet, and also running dhcp. Since I wanted to basically keep all telus tv traffic on the telus router, and my own network on my own router, I put my router onto a different subnet where I can use all of my existing settings, no problem. 

1. From port 1 on the telus modem, run this into your own wireless routers internet/lan port.

2. Access your telus router menu via a web browser. The ip address, username, and password is on a sticker on the side of router. 192.168.1.154. I used a network cable with my laptop and plugged into any available port. 

3. Find the menu that allows port bridging. Enable this. Save changes. 

4. Connect to your own router. If you don't know the ipaddress (mine changed one it was bridged to something other than 192.168.1.1), open cmd window in windows, and type in ipconfig /all. Find the ipaddress listed for gateway. This is your own routers ip address. Type this into your web browser. 

5. In your router network settings, change the subnet to 255.255.0.0. 

I had to change my routers ip address manually. Somehow, when it was hooked up to the telus router, it must have detected another router on the network and changed its own ip address from 192.168.1.1 to something very different like 10.154.x.x. I changed my linksys router address back to 192.168.1.1. If you have any existing devices with manually entered IP address, such as a access point, printer, desktop computer etc, you will have to go in and change their subnet address to 255.255.0.0, which is what your own router is now running on.

I now have my own network running on 192.168.1.x, and the telus router is also running on 192.168.1.x (its default), but they are different subnets. The only catch is, a device on your own router will not see any device connected to the telus router - different subnets now. The telus optik tv traffic runs through the telus router, and my own network is on my own router just like it was before having the telus router installed. I am going to turn the wireless radio off on the telus router as my tv's are all hardwired to it. One less radio signal to interfere. I am in a condo and there are a lot of wireless networks here. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
I have tried Port1 bridging, transparent bridging. I’ve read through threads and forums and cannot seem to figure it out.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is no reason you should not be seeing 150+ using the T2200H. I see in excess of my advertised rates on my Telus gateway.

You should be able to attach your own router to the T2200H even without bridging - it simply will create a subnet on your network if connected from a LAN port on the T2200H to the WAN port on the Netgear.

What is the IP addressing of your Netgear device?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
I just ran a test on the Telus wifi, I got 60-70. I’m not able to get connected with my netgear now at all. I’m sorry but I’m not very experienced with this, but I got it with my old Telus modem. Are you able to guide me through it? I followed the instructions from other threads and they don’t work

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You need to connect to your router with an Ethernet connection to determine accurate speeds. There are too many variables on Wi-Fi to use that connection as your testbed.

NFtoBC

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
I just used my computer that is wired to the t2200h, I got 78.57/95.18.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If, after rebooting your router by unplugging it and re-connecting it to power, you are still seeing the same speeds, I suggest contacting Telus as the next step.

NFtoBC

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
Okay sounds good. Thank you for your time. Just curious what the process you would go through to make the netgear router work?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You should be able to attach your own router to the T2200H even without bridging - it simply will create a subnet on your network if connected from a LAN port on the T2200H to the WAN port on the Netgear

NFtoBC

I just hooked up my linksys wireless router to the new Telus wireless router I had installed.

My linksys was installed in my home office, and is hardwired to my printer and desktop computer so I wanted to keep wired connections to these devices, not to mention I want easier control of my home wireless network.

The telus modem is located in a different room, so I had to determine which wire was running to my home office. Here is what I had to do to keep using all of the existing settings on my linksys. There was one bigger problem that my router was using subnet 255.255.255.0, and so was the telus router. Both routers were trying to run on 192.168.1.x. From what I understand you cannot have two routers running on the same subnet, and also running dhcp. Since I wanted to basically keep all telus tv traffic on the telus router, and my own network on my own router, I put my router onto a different subnet where I can use all of my existing settings, no problem. 

1. From port 1 on the telus modem, run this into your own wireless routers internet/lan port.

2. Access your telus router menu via a web browser. The ip address, username, and password is on a sticker on the side of router. 192.168.1.154. I used a network cable with my laptop and plugged into any available port. 

3. Find the menu that allows port bridging. Enable this. Save changes. 

4. Connect to your own router. If you don't know the ipaddress (mine changed one it was bridged to something other than 192.168.1.1), open cmd window in windows, and type in ipconfig /all. Find the ipaddress listed for gateway. This is your own routers ip address. Type this into your web browser. 

5. In your router network settings, change the subnet to 255.255.0.0. 

I had to change my routers ip address manually. Somehow, when it was hooked up to the telus router, it must have detected another router on the network and changed its own ip address from 192.168.1.1 to something very different like 10.154.x.x. I changed my linksys router address back to 192.168.1.1. If you have any existing devices with manually entered IP address, such as a access point, printer, desktop computer etc, you will have to go in and change their subnet address to 255.255.0.0, which is what your own router is now running on.

I now have my own network running on 192.168.1.x, and the telus router is also running on 192.168.1.x (its default), but they are different subnets. The only catch is, a device on your own router will not see any device connected to the telus router - different subnets now. The telus optik tv traffic runs through the telus router, and my own network is on my own router just like it was before having the telus router installed. I am going to turn the wireless radio off on the telus router as my tv's are all hardwired to it. One less radio signal to interfere. I am in a condo and there are a lot of wireless networks here. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@grandmaster

Thanks for sharing!

Many of would have changed the IP address on the second router to something like 192.168.2.x with similar effect. Also the usual split is Telus TV services on the Actiontec, and all other services on the secondary router.

NFtoBC

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
@NFtoBC if I changed the ip on my netgear router, would I have to change the gateway or subnet as well?

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
@grandmaster that was very informative thank you!! I got on to my routers net settings. I’m on the “internet” tab. I see “internet IP address” and the options to “get dynamically from isp” or “use static IP”. I want to use static correct? These are what the dynamic addresses were. IP address-192.168.1.68
Subnet-255.255.255.0
Gateway-192.168.1.254
Should I change these?
I am able to get internet working through the router, but when I connect my Xbox, it has a few errors. Double nat, no teredo ip, and a moderate nat type

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually, you need to connect to a LAN port on the secondary router with an Ethernet cable to set it up. Once connected, you need to put the IP address of the router in your browser address bar and set it up. If the secondary router has an IP address of 192.168.1.x, you will need to do some set up with it not connected to the Telus gateway, as you will need to change the default DHCP served IP addresses from 192.168.1.x to another IP address such as 192.168.2.x or change the Netmask ,as @grandmaster suggests. Once you have your local network set up, including Wi-Fi, you can then connect it to the Actiontec gateway for internet connectivity.

A web search with the term "setting up a subnet" or "using two routers" should gather more info on setting up a multi-segmented network than you need.

NFtoBC

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
Okay I will be trying that now thank you @NFtoBC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@N7Rage

Here's a Wiki-how on the topic. You want the LAN to WAN path.

NFtoBC

You need to changes these settings on your own wireless router. 

Under what is probably something like internet settings, you want

-dynamic IP from ISP

-gateway will automatically get set one you set your "dynamic IP from ISP" on

Then under a section for local network settings

-ip address = 192.168.1.1

-subnet = 255.255.0.0

N7Rage
Friendly Neighbour
I don’t know what happened, but after I had unplugged my router then plugged it back in, it’s working now? I’m very confused about this, as I didn’t change anything before unplugging. I’m not complaining though. Thank you so much @NFtoBC and @grabdmaster for your time
Moved:

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

Created new topic on Internet, TV & Home Phone board to keep this subject on topic.