cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFibre installation harrassment

JackArthur
Organizer

I have received a letter from Telus FibreUpgrade re. copper network will be shutoff by August 15, 2019 in my neighbourhood. Can they actually leave me without a phone feed if I don't want nor need the Purefibre network? This is what I found on the Telus website, contradictory to what the most recent correspondence received from Telus states??  

https://www.telus.com/en/internet/fibre/faq

What if I don’t want to switch to TELUS PureFibre services? Will TELUS make me switch?

Your existing copper internet service will continue to work as long as it is available in your neighbourhood. However, you can increase your property value simply by installing a fibre optic internet connection on your property.4 Also, in the future if you want more data to support new connected technologies, you can easily and quickly make the switch to TELUS PureFibre.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tai
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello there @JackArthur and @kms 

Yes what you have been told is correct. In select communities TELUS is replacing existing copper infrastructure with our PureFibre network and as such, copper service will be shutting down. To avoid service interruption during the transition from copper to PureFibre customers will need to schedule a technician visit. The upgrade from the current copper network to PureFibre is mandatory.

Full details are available at telus.com/fibreupgrade.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

polecat
All-Star

Don't let them bs you. You have a monthly contract for phone and they have to honour that. This is some rep trying to up sell a different pack

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@polecat wrote:

Don't let them bs you. You have a monthly contract for phone and they have to honour that. This is some rep trying to up sell a different pack

They only have to honour a monthly contract for a month. The contract / offering can be changed with 30 days notice.

Telus has no obligation to maintain a copper network in parallel with Fibre, and since copper is ever more expensive to maintain, it will be replaced by Fibre as time moves forward.

@JackArthur quoted:

Your existing copper internet service will continue to work as long as it is available in your neighbourhood.

@JackArthur, you may find better services and pricing available to you with a Fibre-connected phone service, as it is not regulated under the same legislation as copper telephone is.  You can also likely choose to have only phone services, if Telus is removing the copper in your neighbourhood.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

So can Telus actually (and legally) cut me off?

They wont actually cut you off. You have nothing to lose by moving to Fibre anyway especially if this includes bringing the Fibre line in to the home if it hasn't been done already. Having your home on the Fibre network increases its value in terms of future utility availability.

Are you an official Telus representative as I want it from a bonafide Telus source? Thanks! I get contradicting advice from the copper wire and Purefibre teams. I could very likely do the cross-over but don't like being coerced esp. if it a hard sell tactic. Telus has had it run-ins with CRTC re. this type of behaviour. I would like to know the honest legal answer.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
The participants here are mostly customers. TELUS staff are rarely involved in discussions here. Clarification is best sought by contacting them through their regular support or sales channels, even though you state you’ve received conflicting info.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Fair enough. I will follow up with the PureFibre team tomorrow and seek official clarification if they plan to cut my copper wire service like they have warned. Thanks for the disclaimer about posters not speaking as the telcom service provider but rather as fellow Telus customers. 

Hi, I live in the Dunbar area of Vancouver and have received the same notification of service cut-off.  I can't get a straight answer about this urgent requirement to transition to fibre for the home phone.  If you see this note, could you please advise whether you've received any definitive information from Telus?  Thanks.

Tai
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello there @JackArthur and @kms 

Yes what you have been told is correct. In select communities TELUS is replacing existing copper infrastructure with our PureFibre network and as such, copper service will be shutting down. To avoid service interruption during the transition from copper to PureFibre customers will need to schedule a technician visit. The upgrade from the current copper network to PureFibre is mandatory.

Full details are available at telus.com/fibreupgrade.

StevestonLuna
Friendly Neighbour

please see my post with current information from TELUS today. Sept 9. 2021 . Your info is out of date. 

Hi KMS,

I was essentially forced to switch to PureFibre and the install is now complete. Is it better than copper, I don't notice a difference although my kids complain their WiFi signal from the router/modem box they provided that plugs into the wall hub is glitchy with the signal they are getting upstairs (cuts out). Waiting for a Telus techniocian to come by on the weekend to see if a WiFi booster/extender is warranted which will in my opinion resolve the issue. I didn't have the issue on the old gateway modem plugged into the phone jack so go figure if new tech is better than old tech??!!

Cheers,

Jack 

polecat
All-Star

Sorry some how it posted my fault ?. MY internet 25/25 is no longer offered but they phone me every 2 to 3 months to upgrade for same price (short time period only) then up the price. 25/25 is all i need the speed is just fine. I am in Creston where is your location. Polecat

Vancouver Point Grey, its not hat I don't want the service right now, don't really need the extra installation logistics hassle and having my alarm security service also affected. I don't need to bring FO into the interior of the house to suit Telus' needs. It represents having to be around for the install tech and interior modem location dilemma which I don't really need at this time as I plan vacation, etc. Why make their problem mine, let me do it when it is convenient for me or let the next homeowner deal with it in a  couple of years? My needs are pretty basis that is why I never liked the idea of bundling everything as it gives too much monopoly power in the hands of a single vendor.

StevestonLuna
Friendly Neighbour

I received an email from TELUS regarding the  NEED to switch. I have only a landline and an alarm system. No other services. I have been advised by two representatives that I do not need to switch as long as the copper lines are being supported. One agent advised " TELUS doesn't force people to switch" 

So.. in my mind this is clear. The info regarding mandatory is wrong. It is a bully tactic. 

And, for those of you who mentioned "increased value for your property" .. really? What has that got to do with the price of salt? 

This is strictly an issue about being forced / coerced into a product you may not need.    

I have the opposite problem. I want fibre so that I can get faster Internet but it's not available in my area yet.

"And, for those of you who mentioned "increased value for your property" .. really? What has that got to do with the price of salt?"

If I was in the market for a home I would not even consider looking at a house that doesn't have a fibre connection. A slow Internet connection has a serious impact on my ability to work from home.

My mom got the letter and it sounded like they were forced off copper and  they converted her home phone to fibre. No difference at all that we can tell. They are doing my brothers place right now but the fibre the installed before to the side of the house is no good. They have been out 3 times and still can’t get a signal from the fibre line. 4th time out and they will have to dig it all up to replace it. They already flagged his lawn for it.  No big deal for him, he’s on Bell Expressvue and Shaw Internet.  

This transition to PureFiber  and removing the copper involves what inside of the house? I already have all the other fiber products Telus offers and had a technician here 6 weeks ago to upgrade the LAN line, but in the end he told it was not that important to complete and instead upgraded my fiber optic equipment to latest pieces. 

Do they actually remove the copper from inside the house and replace with the fiber?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Installers would not replace the inside wiring. The copper infrastructure outside of the home is what's being retired. That is why people are being changed to fibre. The ONT has standard RJ11 jacks and a line can be run from the ONT to a wall jack so the other jacks in the house will still work as they did before using the same existing phones.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks. Only have 2 jacks in the house. Should be a big deal to change since I the fiber in and out of the house.

That is interesting. Our Telus mail has been telling us we need both outside and inside lines switched to fiber. and .. " if you don't want someone to come into your home the installer can talk you through the changes from outside your residence." which of course is not acceptable. ..I am not doing their work for them.. nor am I having anyone in my home during this pandemic.