cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on Actiontec V1000H?

russdirks
Organizer

Router firmware: 31.121L.19

I've got a simple service running on tcp port 3000 on one of my computers.  I can access it from other computers on my home LAN, so I am pretty sure it is working, but external computers cannot access (timeout errors).

I've got port forwarding set up  on the router:

Capture.PNG

I used a external port scanner to verify that port 3000 is accessible externally, and it checked out ok.

Any ideas what I need to do to get  this to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try using this to check your port:
https://www.canyouseeme.org/

Are you testing externally using your external IP address or a DDNS URL? Sorry but I have to ask, is your "external device" actually on a network outside of your LAN?

Yes, it's entirely possible the upgrade messed up the port forwarding functionality. If you don't have a lot to your router configuration then consider doing a factory reset and setting everything up again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero
Perhaps your service also needs UDP or additional ports?

Is that IP address is reserved for your PC?

No, it's just a simple server I wrote in node.js ... it listens on tcp 3000 only.  And yes, the PC running the server has a static IP.

There's not much else to it really. If the port scan came back positive for 3000 that means something is responding on that port. What does your service do? I noticed you also have other ports like 80 forwarded as well. Is your service using those?

Port 80 was just an experiment ... I know Telus blocks that one and a few others.

I'm just trying to get a 'proof-of-concept' server running, currently it's apache running on a Windows 10 box with a static IP address.  I've got the 'Listen' directive set to 3000.  I can pull up a simple web page using 'localhost:3000' on that machine.  From other machines on the LAN, I can pull up the same web page using http://192.168.1.90:3000/ no problem. But when I try to access from an external machine, I get a connection timeout.

I also did a complete reset on the modem, but still no joy.

I noticed something odd in the Upgrade History page:

Capture.PNG

It's weird, because on the home page, it shows firmware 31.121L.19.  Maybe I should phone Telus tech support and ask for some help.

Try using this to check your port:
https://www.canyouseeme.org/

Are you testing externally using your external IP address or a DDNS URL? Sorry but I have to ask, is your "external device" actually on a network outside of your LAN?

Yes, it's entirely possible the upgrade messed up the port forwarding functionality. If you don't have a lot to your router configuration then consider doing a factory reset and setting everything up again.

Ok, well it is working now!  Or maybe it was working all along.  I went down to the local library to use one of their computers to try and access my home server and I was able to do so.  So my testing with an external machine was the issue.  What I did was upload a PHP script to my web host provider and ran it from there.  The script would do a HTTP GET request for my home ip address, which failed for some reason.  Maybe my web host provider has some kind of blocking going on.

Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions ... it eventually got me to the solution!