cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi speeds

EdLee
Neighbour
Hi all
I have internet 150 and optik TV. I live in a new area in South Edmonton. The router is a T3200 and I’m getting between 5-10Mbps throughout the house. Is anyone else having this kind of degraded performance? I’m comfortable updating firmware if that’s the issue.
Thanks for any advice.
5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What happens when you connect a computer to the T3200M with an Ethernet cable?

Does the speed differ if you place your wireless device immediately adjacent to the T3200M?

What devices are you seeing these speeds on?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

The ethernet connections all work fine.

Wireless speeds adjacent to the T3200M are between 40-90Mbps.  If I move to an adjacent room, speed goes down to 20-40Mbps.  Moving one floor up and the speeds are below 10Mbps.

This is on all my iOS devices running speedtest app. (iPhone 7,8 and iPad - latest gen ) - All iOS devices are up to date.

Thanks for the reply.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sounds like you may have something inside the house environment that is interfering with the wireless signal. Where was the T3200 installed? Is there an electrical panel or appliance, like a microwave, near it?

Just to make sure the modem is working its best, if you go into Wireless Settings. Look for Smart Steering. Is it enabled?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It’s on the main floor in the office. There’s just typical computer peripherals around (monitor, printer, NAS). It’s about 15’ away from the microwave which isn’t used for more than a few minutes per day.

I tried different channels but the speeds don’t improve. Thinking about the WiFi boost kit now. Seems like there’s no other solution.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's also possible that it could be the modem itself as well. I'd ensure Smart Steering is disabled in the settings on the modem. Basically means your wireless network is split in 2. One for 2.4GHz (highest chance of interference) and the 5GHz network which is where the AC connections come in for faster / newer devices.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂