Parental Controls for Internet and Device Apps

DanDe
Resident

We have used ActionTec parental controls before on our previous router/modem and have recently upgraded to the T3200M unit and the parental controls work only for the internet so it seems. The apps seem to be able to bypass it. Ie, Facebook still has access to view the newsfeed, Youtube - can still view video. Has anyone had success in restricting all internet connections?

baia2
Resident

I am having the same issue with snapchat. Any suggestions??

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

This came up in another very recent post. Most services have switched to secure connections and this bypasses the unencrypted connections normally blocked by parental controls. Also if the app or site uses a non standard port to connect, that will bypass the parental controls also. Kids in general usually know how to circumvent most parental controls as well. Especially if they know your password or their way around a router.

If you're looking to totally block access to a device on the network, it's not the parental controls you should be using. Scheduling access will block all connections to a device during specific times. It's right next to parental controls in the settings menu on the T3200M.

Doe
Friendly Neighbour

I also have a T3200M, the scheduling access restriction does work. 

My mistake was that I did not reset the modem.  oops. 

This must be done by going to "advanced setup" and can be found under "modem utilities"

Doe
Friendly Neighbour

The incredibly important step is to "Reboot" which can be found in advanced setup under the menu item "Modem Utilities"