cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPTP VPN

ImTrichomes
Neighbour

Is Their anyway i can setup a pptp vpn on this t3200m modem or do i need a flashed/wrt/ddwrt router to do that cause i have been having problems with people ddosing me on my home internet and its really starting to make me mad and i cant switch ips cause it doesnt let me just goes back to the same ip that i have and nothing seems to work for me.

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your IP is really being DDOS'd, using a VPN at this point is not going to solve the DDOS. The VPN will also be impacted by it because it would be going through your internet connection.

A true DDOS would basically render your connection nearly unusable. I'm curious how you arrived at the conclusion you are being targeted for a DDOS? What are your results when you run a speed test?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

i have been ddosed before so i know when i do get ddosed and  yes indeed my connection will go unstable and i cant change my ip when i do get ddosed and when i try to it will just give me the same ip but im sure my modem is screw up too also cause my ip that im suppose to have be a dynamic ip instead of a static and my subnet is also screw up and i have tryed like 20 different things to reset the modem to factory but does the same thing.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The modem is working correctly. You don't seem overly familiar with how dynamic IPs and DHCP works. Yes, the IP address can change. It doesn't happen often, but it will eventually. Mine changes maybe once or twice a year. A DHCP lease determines how long the IP is assigned to any modem or device. If that device happens to be powered down when the lease expires (days in some cases), there's a very small chance the IP may change. Rebooting or resetting the modem basically renews the lease automatically and starts the clock again.

Again, what is your result if you run a speed test on your connection? Just claiming to know when you are getting DDOS'd isn't sufficient. If you were getting DDOS'd, you'd barely be able to get online, if at all. A speedtest will also be impacted if you really are experiencing a DDOS.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂