Optik TV Smart Remote

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Mikekpt
Neighbour

Well said. 40 or more characters to say anymore Telus.¿ don’t get me going anymore. Waste my time and now I’m looking at $800 to wire in a repeater to my tv to use a remote like its 1992.

Mikekpt
Neighbour

Yes same here. Xantech dinkylink has been a good product as I used to install. Loved my house operating off iPhone. So pissed off. I split the telusbox living room and master. So I’m $200 per tv plus install or pay someone. Thanks Telus. I can say you suck again. 

Arrvon
Resident
Hi, I also registered (as many others in this thread have done) to voice my displeasure over the Smart Remote app being cancelled.

The fact that so many users have registered just to bring this issue up should show TELUS how much this means to them and how important it would be to fix the issue.

The new app is clearly just a web based app. It’s only 8mb to install so it’s likely just running your web browser in a fancy TELUS looking app.

In any case, it is a big step backwards and loses some of the very important features the other app had. Here are the features that Telus has taken away for me:

-a quick guide to search days ahead
-a quick guide to scan channels quickly and then select it/play it on the tv
-the ability to let me kids browse on demand kids shows from the app and then play them on the tv. (One of our boxes, the one connected to the kids tv, is the older generation Telus box which is extremely slow to navigate so this makes it much easier)

The new app would be somewhat useful if it at the very least could send the shows to start playing on the tv instead of a small iPad screen.

Overall it’s an extremely dissapointing sign as a customer that Telus would even consider losing all these features as an option, let alone actually purposely deciding to get rid of them. Even if i.TV was ending their support, the software should have been purchased by Telus and integrated into the new app.

I sincerely hope that Telus brings back the smart remote features that were clearly a selling point and much used/loved feature.
GarbageApp
Resident

This was so dissapointing. Take away an amazing funtional app and force me to watch on my tablet?!?

What idiot thought this was an improvement? For Christ sake, what a stupid move. I’ve deleted this stupid resource pig.

bring back the ipad/iphone remote app.

how many pages is this thread expressing the same dissatisfaction.

idiots

Shank
Resident
Does Telus even monitor this forum? An answer would be appreciated. This isn’t the only thread on this topic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I expect they don’t have much to say. The developer of the product, and owner of the intellectual property has abandoned the product. This leaves Telus in the position of no longer being able to offer the now unsupported product, and likely unable to re-create it without being in a copyright infringement situation. If it was as simple as cut and paste, it likely would have been done by now by someone.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Digitalone
Connector

Besides which, who watches HD TV on their iPhone? Wow why did I spend all that money on my 60" Oled UHD TV? Crazy. 

Highlighted
Digitalone
Connector

@frankw wrote:
@mbpTelus is a company worth about $27 billion, not some tiny undercapitalized startup running in a spare bedroom that must do things at very low cost. They mismanaged their Smart Remote project if they were cheapskates and made it dependent on a software component made by a little company (maybe 1 person?) that didn't make enough money and one day decided to cease operations. A competent tech company (actually the people in charge of the Smart Remote app) would make sure their project had a more solid foundation. If they are blaming the outside framework supplier, that's just an excuse, it is Telus's responsibility to develop reliable systems and they failed on this one.

Exactly, is Telus telling us that they don't have the resources or knowhow to add the remote functionality to the new app. Bull $#%@. If a small outfit like i.TV could do it then certainly a 27 billion dollar company can fork up enough cash to get the right peps to code that feature or licence it from i.TV if required. 

Digitalone. 

Community Power User
Community Power User
i.TV is no more. It’s hard to license something from a company that no longer exists. Along with any IP they once had.
VV
Resident

We have our PVR boxes in cabinets beside our two main TVs.

We used the old app to change channels.

Can't do that now.

Have resorted to running transmitters, temporarily.  

Extremely disappointing that Telus does not have RF remotes and/or discontinued the app that addressed that issue.

We custom designed our dream home to hide all of the components....

The suggestion from Telus is that they will send a technician out to move the boxes - that is a joke!

We are now looking at Shaw and will be moving immediately.