Optical connection loads slow and cannot access router address

DC1
Connector

Anybody else get stuck with worse then standard wire Optical service ?

The pages load so slow the Images take a few moments to load the whole time on the page , if on one page for hour I will not be able to find the same image fast all day long as once I scroll past a images and go back to it it needs to reload it every time... Its annoying. Especially as I HAVE to PAY them for it.

Honestly optical sucks for me as so far I hate IT

cant access the Router page to try and fix things myself , I got there once it would not let me enter with oem password I rest , still nothing. Now it will not load the router page at all..

You would think they would have all this stuff worked out by now. They Dont.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

Not being able to access the Actiontec's GUI is concerning.   Do you have a third party router attached to the Actiontec?  You may want to try another factory reset, stick a pin or pen in the back of the Actiontec for around 10-15 seconds, wait until the power light goes red or the lights start to flash (depending on which model you have) and then reboot the device.  Since you're on fiber optics, wait until the internet light is back on the Actiontec, and then run a speed test at speedtest.net.  If you still encounter issues you may want to contact Telus support.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Resetting your gateway is only recommended as a last step once troubleshooting is done. If you are trying to reset your gateway, please ensure you are holding the reset button for 30 seconds until the Internet light turns red. Make sure you are connected to your Telus gateway by an ethernet cable as well when trying to configure the wireless settings on it.

One thing to also double check is that you are connected to your own wireless network and not a neighbors' network. In the past you had mentioned you were getting slow speeds that would look consistent with not being connected to your own network.

Since you posted before about speeds, did you call Telus and what did they say when you called them regarding that issue last time? Did they send a tech out? If the issue persists or has since your last posts, definitely call Telus and have them ensure there are no problems with the connection.

Please provide the following information:

1. Which fiber box do you have?
  2. Which Telus gateway / router are you using? Do you have a third party router as well?
  3. Do you have any devices connected to the router / gateway using an ethernet cable?
  4. What is your result when testing your speed online using a physically connected device? Post the result using the first link under "Share" next to the speed test results. 
  5. When trying to configure your wireless settings, while physically connected, which setup method do you use? Logging in to the router directly or setting the wireless name and password through your account?
DC1
Connector

The speedtest reports fast speed yet page loading is slow the connection is testing as being fast.
Have been resetting the router it appears to be going through a rest as the lights blink orange turn off for a moment and turn back on.  So its has been reset many a time to no avail.
Its a 2 year old laptop running win 10 that was/is connected via a 6 ft  Lan cable when the issue showed up.
Thinking the Wifi connection might work I disconnected the lan enabled wifi and entered the ip address into the address bar and = Zilch every time.

The issues that remain are

Cannot enter the routers set up page
Download and upload speed are fine but page loading is slow if more then a few images are on it.
After the reset the wifi signal strength is set back to its factory 100% output.
For my health I have always set it to 40% strength as its all the range I require but mostly to avoid any unnecessary microwaving...

My priority is to enter the router first fix slow issue 2nd

I wanted  / was hoping to hear from people who had SOLVED their issue.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

DC1 wrote:

The speedtest reports fast speed yet page loading is slow the connection is testing as being fast.

If the Speedtest is giving you fast speeds, the issue is not with your connection. You can choose test points across the globe to see the connection to that point if you wish. Slow loading pages while connected to the Telus gateway (router) could be due to a number of issues including slow servers providing the information, or a slow rendering engine on your computer, or a busy computer. 

DC1 wrote:

Thinking the Wifi connection might work I disconnected the lan enabled wifi and entered the ip address into the address bar and = Zilch every time.

Not sure what you mean by this?  Are you saying that when you connect your laptop to the gateway by Ethernet only, you cannot access the network at all? Or that when you try to access 192.168.1.254 while connected to the gateway by Wi-Fi only it does not connect? My T3200M will allow me to connect using the admin and password listed on the device by either Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

DC1 wrote:

Download and upload speed are fine but page loading is slow if more then a few images are on it.
After the reset the wifi signal strength is set back to its factory 100% output.
For my health I have always set it to 40% strength as its all the range I require but mostly to avoid any unnecessary microwaving...

How are you changing the Wi-Fi strength to 40% if you can't access the set-up page? You should be able to access the page once reset, by using the credentials on the router at 192.168.1.254. Lower case admin, and password. If these do not work subsequent to a reset, then your device may need to be replaced.

Image management can be slow on a computer, depending on how the web page is written, and how the images are served. It is entirely possible the images come from an entirely different server than the rest of the code. A webpage is not a monolithic document like a magazine page is. It can be assembled from many sources to look like a single page, but can be assessing many different resources to assemble the page you are viewing. What are some of the problem sites?

DC1 wrote:

2nd

If others aren't seeing the issue, it would be difficult to offer experience. If you are unable to access the admin page of your router using the credentials on the device, having reset it, then it likely should be replaced.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DeanD
Connector

Do you have autodetect enabled for your proxy settings?  Sometimes when starting a browser, if you have autodetect on, it will take a long time for the pages to even start loading as it detects the presence of a proxy server.  I make sure autodetect is off and it starts browsing quite a bit faster.

Maybe also try to enter the router pages from an incognito/inPrivate/Private window.  That might stop any bad addon or browser extension you have.  I don't think this is a router issue, but more of a workstation issue.

DC1
Connector

NFtoBC wrote:

DC1 wrote:

If the Speedtest is giving you fast speeds, the issue is not with your connection. You can choose test points across the globe to see the connection to that point if you wish. Slow loading pages while connected to the Telus gateway (router) could be due to a number of issues including slow servers providing the information, or a slow rendering engine on your computer, or a busy computer. 

DC1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this?  Are you saying that when you connect your laptop to the gateway by Ethernet only, you cannot access the network at all? Or that when you try to access 192.168.1.254 while connected to the gateway by Wi-Fi only it does not connect? My T3200M will allow me to connect using the admin and password listed on the device by either Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

DC1 wrote:

How are you changing the Wi-Fi strength to 40% if you can't access the set-up page? You should be able to access the page once reset, by using the credentials on the router at 192.168.1.254. Lower case admin, and password. If these do not work subsequent to a reset, then your device may need to be replaced.

Image management can be slow on a computer, depending on how the web page is written, and how the images are served. It is entirely possible the images come from an entirely different server than the rest of the code. A webpage is not a monolithic document like a magazine page is. It can be assembled from many sources to look like a single page, but can be assessing many different resources to assemble the page you are viewing. What are some of the problem sites?

DC1 wrote:

2nd

If others aren't seeing the issue, it would be difficult to offer experience. If you are unable to access the admin page of your router using the credentials on the device, having reset it, then it likely should be replaced.

I agree it should be replaced

DC1
Connector

I checked on those settings and tried the browser in private browsing mode , no change.

For fun (it was not fun) I restarted the computer in Safe mode and tried typing the 192.168.1.254 into the browsers address bars ( Edge & FF ) to no avail.

Got through to Chat but the person on the other end had Zero experience with the issue.

I mentioned I tried doing this with both Edge and Firefox browsers . person suggests I should try IE and Chrome.
I could of sworn Edge was using IE  , the tech had never heard of the Edge before.

Not much help there so I suggest could you send me out a new router ?

Telus agent replies NO I can send out a tech though.

I reply a tech ? its a page loading problem cant you sent me a new router ?
Agent - NO I can send a tech out though.

I reply I dont want to take time off work to meet a tech at the house, send a router maybe instead could you as I will lose wages.

tech - NO

I end the chat and Im still without help

DC1
Connector

Still cannot connect to the 192.168.1.254 web interface still have no wifi output control , pages are still slow loading if it has much info on it like with lists with images next to a description.

Now the iPhone will not receive wifi internet only wifi dead air. The laptop is connected  via Ethernet cable  but when I unplug it and use wifi it connects to the internet and searches fine. The iPhone connects to the wifi signal of the router using the password but no internet is passed on to it instead it only receives the router antenna signal not internet. 

Its been a glitch transition to fiber , I cannot recommend it to anyone instead I suggest Satellite. I am going to move to it next. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Enjoy your slow, expensive, capped, weather-dependent Internet connection!

NFtoBC
Most Helpful
JJR
Connector

Support for Fibre is separate from the "regular" support and Chat.  Try accessing Chat from the Fibre support pages at https://order.fibre.telus.com/web/guest/ - I have found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful.  Initially my Fibre service was misconfigured on the Telus backend but once that issue was corrected I have found the fibre service to be absolutely wonderful.

JTL
Advocate

Why would you move to satellite?! I'd take node congested DOCSIS 2 cable with only 1mbps upload over it.

DC1
Connector

For anyone with the same problem I have the fix / found the  fix / made  the fix myself.

Thanks for nothing telus agents

Community Power User
Community Power User

Since the Neighbourhood is about users sharing solutions to the benefit of other users, you could share your solution.

NFtoBC