OPTIK NHL CENTRE ICE package Missing Channels

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Symtex
Advisor

On the NHL Website, there is no difference between Rogers, TELUS and Shaw.

Cable

Rogers

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26420

• With NHL Centre Ice on Rogers you get up to 40 key regular season games per week, including a number of games in high definition.
  • See the best match-ups, including games from VERSUS, NBC and U.S. Regional Sports Networks.

Shaw

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26416

• With NHL Centre Ice on Shaw you get up to 40 key regular season games per week, including a number of games in high definition.
  • See the best match-ups, including games from VERSUS, NBC and U.S. Regional Sports Networks

TELUS

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=64384

• With NHL Centre Ice on Telus TV you get up to 40 key regular season games per week, including a number of games in high definition.
  • See the best match-ups, including games from VERSUS, NBC and U.S. Regional Sports Networks

Search for a certain blogs in google that gives an pretty extensive look of what he schedule will looks like this year for Canadian team. Unfortunately, I can't link it here.

rybone89
Resident

SO much misinformation in this thread, so listen to me very carefully!

NHL Centre Ice has its OWN SET OF CHANNELS. When a person has Centre Ice, they don't watch regional games on the same channels as the people who actually live in those regions do. The Centre Ice HD channels on Telus are from 1101-1114. This is where you watch ALL OUT OF MARKET GAMES if you have Centre Ice. I'm a Leafs fan in Edmonton and have watched every regional game on one of these channels for the past several years. 

This year all of the Leafs regional games (broadcast on TSN4 and Sportsnet Ontario) will be available between channel 1101-1114 on Optik TV in HD.

This should be the case for anyone else who follows a team that isn't their local team.

TSN 3,4,5 and Sportsnet Pacific, West, Ontario, East will continue to be blacked out when non-local games are being shown, AS HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE.

I used to have both Shaw and Shaw Direct (when it was Starchoice), and the out of market games were ALWAYS on a set of separate channels that were higher up on the channel list and no where close to the regular sports channels.

All of this being said, I notice that the Centre Ice channels are not yet showing up in my guide. They are however in the settings where you customize your guide and check/uncheck the channels you want to see. I'm thinking Telus has just pulled them from everyones guides until Thursday when regional broadcasts start. In previous years however these channels have always been shown in the guide throughout the summer. I'm not worried about it!

/thread.

Crash7
Connector

It's a good sign that the Jets and Sens games are both listed in the guide on Center Ice this Thursday. Both are TSN regional games. I guess we will find out then for sure if these games will be available.

gwotz
Connector

Crash7: (11:00AM EST 10/7) (Apparently) Telus is STILL working on it ...........

If the TSN3 (JETS) and TSN5 (SENATORS) feeds of those games aren't being shown on a CI channel then the package hasn't been "fixed" (yet).

If the CI package hasn't been "fixed" those games should still be available in CI;

- to everyone outside the Senators region using the FS-TN (Fox Sports Tennessee) feed

- to everyone outside the Jets region using the FS-A (Fox Sports Arizona) feed

What I find more encouraging is that there is only 1 feed to each game shown in the guide. In past years there would be at least one game that would show on two different channels (the home and away feeds).   

FYI - It's been confirmed there will be a FREE preview period from Oct 8 - 14,

Since there is no "early bird" pricing (as in past years) I would suggest cancelling Centre Ice TODAY (if you have it) (since there are no cancellations or refunds after the season starts) then watching the FREE preview to see if the TSN broadcasts of the JETS and SENS games are being shown in CI before making your decision whether to buy or switch.

rybone89
Resident

I'm pretty sure Telus if fed by a Bell signal, not to mention Optik TV is only available in Alberta & BC so there's no possibility of regional rights conflicts. Can't see any reason why TSN Jets/Sens/Leafs broadcasts would not be available. I've watched plenty of Jets games on CI the past few years.

The early bird pricing is $200 and expires Oct 31. No reason to subscribe until after the free preview ends I suppose then. Seems to me the free preview in years past was much longer than a week though.

Symtex
Advisor
Durn88
Friendly Neighbour

Good news everyone, I am in Calgary and currently watching the Sens vs Predators (TSN5 regional Senators broadcast) on Telus Optik Centre Ice!

Looks like we got a little worked up for nothing. Enjoy the season!

Durn88
Friendly Neighbour

Update: My feed is HD but it is choppy and cuts in and out occasionally. I called my family back in Ottawa because they're watching it on the normal TSN regional feed and apparently their feed is perfectly fine, so it is obviously a CI issue not a TSN issue.

Anybody have problems like this in the past with CI? Who should I contact about this?

Gilles
Connector

I'm seeing a lot of glitching on that same game (and checked a few other games earlier and saw it on those as well). I believe it's a Telus issue. 

Joe63
Resident
We can get Asian channel Pilipino and Iraqi tv but not tsn3. Wtf
Gilles
Connector

TSN only has regional rights. Not Telus' fault. Though since Centre Ice is in free preview, you can see the Jets game on channel 1113.

bakerke2001
Connector

I live in Calgary. I like the Flames, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vancouver Canucks, Chicago Blackhawks, etc.

How do i know what games are available to me and whether this service is worthwhile?

I had Center Ice on Direct TV when I lived in the US. I could watch pretty any game I wanted. Is it not the same here?

Gilles
Connector

Basically, you'll also need to subscribe to the Sports theme pack to receive games broadcast nationally and regionally on Sportsnet. Some games, including at least one Chicago game and one Tampa game, are being broadcast on FX Canada, so you will need that as well if you want to watch any games broadcast there. If you have these channels in addition to Centre Ice, everything will be available to you, and Centre Ice will still provide the bulk of the out of market games for you.

I also suggest that you make up your mind quickly, as early bird pricing ends Oct 31, and then you'll pay $20 more.

Highlighted
gwotz
Connector

Bakerke2001:

This years Centre Ice (CI) package is the BEST that has EVER been made available in Canada - hands down.

If you have CBC, CITYTV, SN1, SN360 and FX Canada for the "national" broadcasts (that will be blacked out in CI) and SNW for the Flames "regional" broadcasts (that will also be blacked out in CI) and you buy CI, you will have access to EVERY single regular season NHL game played this year. 

bakerke2001
Connector

What about Canucks games on Sprortsnet Pacifiic or Leaf Games on Sportsnet Ontario?

Gilles
Connector

If you subscribe to Centre Ice, you'll get those games as that's what the package is for, though they will be on the Centre Ice channels instead, so you don't need to subscribe to Sports Top-Up to get them.