cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Open Ports in Neighborhood

Matdman
Organizer

Hey everyone,

Attempting to set up TV and Internet at a new place I'm moving into this week. Went to a Telus store about 3 weeks ago to ask about some of the offers they had, and to start the process to sign up. Went through everything at the store, it all looked great, until when the associate tried to finish the order and got an error. She submitted an OWL, and said I would get a call the next day to see what they could do. A rep from support called the next day, and explained that there were no open Telus ports in the neighborhood I'm moving into. She said that she would keep an eye on it and call back a week before I took possession. Didn't receive a call on the day that was stated, so I called the next day, and was told the same problem, and to "Try at the end of a month, that's when everyone seems to move". Well I've now tried the end, beginning, and middle of the month (Mid July until today), to no avail. I'm not really keen on using a different provider, but seeing as I move in to my place in a couple of days, I'll be forced to. Anyone else have this problem? Anything that can be done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Matdman wrote:

Hey everyone,

Anyone else have this problem? Anything that can be done?

Yes. No.

Looks like the exchange is oversubscribed. In the old days it was getting a non-party line; now it is getting a port for your connections at the exchange. Once the system is expanded, more ports will come available. You might try subscribing to a slower internet speed, though most of the systems allow for multiple speeds on the same port, some older ones might have openings on slower internet ports.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Matdman wrote:

Hey everyone,

Anyone else have this problem? Anything that can be done?

Yes. No.

Looks like the exchange is oversubscribed. In the old days it was getting a non-party line; now it is getting a port for your connections at the exchange. Once the system is expanded, more ports will come available. You might try subscribing to a slower internet speed, though most of the systems allow for multiple speeds on the same port, some older ones might have openings on slower internet ports.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

An option to use a slower speed was never given to me. Had it been, I would have taken it. Guess I'll try to call again, hopefully won't be on hold for an hour and a half again.

So I talked to a rep again, and it doesn't matter if it's a slower speed or not. A port is a port. And there still aren't any open.

vishwa
Leader

To answer your question at the end of the paragraph, yes it happens.  I went through the same problem several years ago. But, my understanding is that Telus continually updates those areas and at some point there will be enough ports.  However, it is no solace to you while you are waiting.  I hope you get a free port soon and everything goes well.