New 4K PVR is FAST!

DeanD
Connector

Not so much a question, but more of a statement.  This new 4K PVR from telus is such a pleasure to use!  I finally had my 4K upgrade today and I can easily say that this unit is so much faster than my old regular HD PVR.  I moved from the Cisco 7150 to the new Arris VIP5662W and everything is so much more responsive!  I can page down through channel lists lightening fast, and everything is pretty much instantaneous.  Heck even watching PVR'd shows, the fast forward commercial skip is near instantaneous as well.

I would have switched to this PVR long before I had a 4K TV if I had known!  Very worthy upgrade just for that alone, plus double the recording space.

While I have a 4K TV, you don't need a 4K TV to enjoy this new box.

buckycat
Coach

The upgrade from when I switched from Shaw last year was even more amazing!

Skiddy
Advisor

Do you have internet 50? 

50 seems to be a prerequisite for 4K, however I can only find Internet 15, 25 and 75 on the TELUS web site. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Skiddy wrote:

Do you have internet 50? 

50 seems to be a prerequisite for 4K, however I can only find Internet 15, 25 and 75 on the TELUS web site. 

The offerings for speed vary depending on your location, and the type of service available to your home. I don't see 50 at the address I usually check for internet plans. Since the pricing is so close, it seems it would hardly matter anymore. It could be the 50 is gone, but 75 is the same price.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
DeanD
Connector

I'm on Telus fibre, so I have 150/150.  

Depending on area, it should still be available for most.  Might cost a bit more with the plan, but again, this upgrade makes for a very pleasant viewing experience.  So much more processing power in the box, which means the remote responds the way it should, with no delay at all.

Exhile
Ambassador

buckycat wrote:

The upgrade from when I switched from Shaw last year was even more amazing!

Shaw no longer offers Internet packages below 75 Mbps with a 500 GB cap.

I wonder if Telus will eliminate Internet packages below 75 Mbps as well since 50 is gone and only 15 & 25 renmain.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Exhile

They still offer 6 Mbps in some areas!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Exhile
Ambassador

NFtoBC wrote:

@Exhile

They still offer 6 Mbps in some areas!

6 Mbps for those households in which the primary resident(s) is 70+ years of age.

Telusgrom
Connector

Mine was fast too until last week, now there is about a one second delay when you are skipping forward or reverse. I think Telus pushed a bad update to my box, now it is almisg as slow as my old regular hd box 🤐

DeanD
Connector

Telusgrom wrote:

Mine was fast too until last week, now there is about a one second delay when you are skipping forward or reverse. I think Telus pushed a bad update to my box, now it is almisg as slow as my old regular hd box 🤐

I have noticed the same thing this week as well.  The guide is still lightening fast, but the PVR functions are quite a bit slower.  

Phantom1975
Connector

Yes it is , I had used the shaw bluesky box for I guess about a year now and finally decided to switch to telus when I moved in with my finanee .. Holy crap this thing is fast . lightening fast menu and operation .. Takes some getting used to if you have never had experience with the Telus guide but I'm getting the hang of it