New 4K PVR - HDCP Error Through Denon Amp

Syaoran
Ambassador

I'm guessing the Telus 4k box auto senses the input, which the receiver is triggering it to be better than the TV?  Some receivers do allow you to set the input compatibility of specific HDMI ports.  Both  of my Onkyo receivers allow me to set the capability or limit specific ports to 1.4, 2.0, and 2.2.  If your receivers lack this function, I would say the best solution for those willing to spend a little money to get the best picture quality, would be to look at HD Fury pridocts and go for something like the Linker.  If put between your AVR and your TV, it will take that ridiculously compressed 4k signal that is nothing close to true 4k and downscale it to 1080P, giving you better picture quality on a 1080p TV over all.  

Highlighted
Phud
Resident

It is absolutely a  Telus PVR issue and NOT an issue with the Denon REceiver/Firmware.. I am a Pro A/V Contractor and I have experienced this issue (only with the 4K Box) on Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and other receivers. In all cases the receivers were new and all but 1 TV were new 4K UHD units. I have wasted so much time on this.

I am stuck in a loop. Telus will not admit there is any issue as their box works fine plugged directly into the TV, and they "don't support systems".. and the receiver manufacturer's have shown that it is not their issue as every other input device works flawlessly with the same HDMI cable and input. I have spoken to a couple of installers locally and they both admit privately that they have seen this as well. 

I am stuck in a loop. This only occurs with the Arris VIP5662. The older boxes work fine but Telus removes them and likely recycles them when they drop off the new 4K boxes. I have had a few clients question my knowledge and professionalism over this a they are not technical and it makes me look like I'm just making excuses. The only workaround I have found is running a second HDMI to the TV monitor for the PVR alone (which requires a separate audio feed to the receiver) , and keeping the original HDMI from the receiver to the TV for all other connected devices. Not ideal in any respect. With wall mounts that have a single HDMI cable buried in the wall, it's not even possible. (On one install I had to resort to an HDMI balun through and existing Cat5 wire to get the PVR signal to the TV.. An expensive and unnecessary solution if the PVR didn't have this issue.)

If ANYONE has found the solution to this, PLEASE post it here. 

THanks!

vishwa
Ambassador

The ideal solution if for Telus to fix the firmware, which is unlikely given how long it has been going on and that they are aware of it and their solution is to recommend people to connect it directly to TV.  This did work before and one of the firmware updates about 18 months ago broke it.  

There have been some non-elegant solutions such as buying an HDMI splitter etc.  I doubt that it will ever be resolved, as longer you go fewer are the 1080p sets. 

vishwa
Ambassador

The first sentence should read "The ideal solution is for Telus to fix the firmware...". For some reason I can't edit the post.

Marc89GTi
Resident

I had success recently getting my new Telus 4k PVR to work with my 2007 Panasonic plasma 720p TV with my Pioneer VSX-LX301. So when the installer came over I completed the HDMI connection from port 1 of my Pioneer receiver to the TV and immediately got the error your tv isn't HDR 2.2 compliant even though ports 1 to 3 on my receiver say on them HDR 2.2. So to get it working I moved it to HDMI 5 and on my receiver HDMI ports 4-6 are non HDR 2.2 compliant. But I believe the newer version of my receiver the VSX-LX302 has all HDMI ports that are HDR 2.2 compliant which would seem in my case would not work then.

The other option is people are spending about $50 on HDMI HDR adapter, basically the HDMI in and HDMI out but that is less than ideal too.

RX_47
Friendly Neighbour
Had the same issue and figured out how to fix this. Im guessing you have a 1080p tv only. If you have a denon x3400h, x3500h, x4400h, x4500h, etc. Go into the hdmi diagnostics mode on the denon receiver and change the limit mode to output 1080p then hdcp 2.2 to limit. To get into hdmi diagnostic mode turn on the receiver, then hold the back button and the up cursor on the receiver for around 3 seconds until it flashes hdmi diagnostics. It will run an auto check first and then display the diff modes. From there use ur remote to scroll down to limit mode and make the above changes. I just had my receiver over the weekend and it was driving me nutz trying to figure out how to get into hdmi diagnostics on the new denon receivers. Hope this helps everyone that has the same issue. :-)
RX_47
Friendly Neighbour
For all denon and marantz receiver you can change the hdcp on the hdmi inputs to 1.4. I just got it working today. Im guessing you have a 1080p tv only. If you have a denon x3400h, x3500h, x4400h, x4500h, etc. Go into the hdmi diagnostics mode on the denon receiver and change the limit mode to output 1080p then hdcp 2.2 to limit. To get into hdmi diagnostic mode turn on the receiver, then hold the back button and the up cursor on the receiver for around 3 seconds until it flashes hdmi diagnostics. It will run an auto check first and then display the diff modes. From there use ur remote to scroll down to limit mode and make the above changes. I just had my receiver over the weekend and it was driving me nutz trying to figure out how to get into hdmi diagnostics on the new denon receivers. Hope this helps everyone that has the same issue. :-)
RX_47
Friendly Neighbour
No need for splitter. Had the same issue and figured out how to fix this. Im guessing you have a 1080p tv only. If you have a denon x3400h, x3500h, x4200h, x4300h, x4400h, x4500h, etc. Go into the hdmi diagnostics mode on the denon receiver and change the limit mode to output 1080p then hdcp 2.2 to limit. To get into hdmi diagnostic mode turn on the receiver, then hold the back button and the up cursor on the receiver for around 3 seconds until it flashes hdmi diagnostics. It will run an auto check first and then display the diff modes. From there use ur remote to scroll down to limit mode and make the above changes. I just had my receiver over the weekend and it was driving me nutz trying to figure out how to get into hdmi diagnostics on the new denon receivers. Hope this helps everyone that has the same issue. :-)
RX_47
Friendly Neighbour
Actually its an easy fix on the denon/receiver side. Please read my other post. Hope it works for u or if u need more details just reply.
DanF
Resident

I am experiencing exactly this problem with a Denon AVR-S640H.  I don't have a back button and up cursor on the front panel.  Do you by any chance know if HDMI Diagnostics is available on this model and if so, how I would enter that mode?

RX_47
Friendly Neighbour
I cant seem to find anything on the s640h. The step up s740h uses the zone 2 and tuner preset ch-. I notice the 640 doesnt have a zone 2. So it must use a different button. Maybe denon tech support can let you know what the buttons are to get into the “special mode setting buttons” or “hdmi diagnostics menu” as per the troubleshooting manuals. Sorry cant help you much more than that.
FF5GTM
Resident

I have the Denon 4300 and holding these two buttons does not work. any other suggestions?