New 4K PVR - HDCP Error Through Denon Amp

rb88
Connector
I ordered one via the self install kit telus provides, will update if it works, hopefully I get the new box.
rb88
Connector
Any update on if this worked for you?
vishwa
Ambassador

Not yet.  Telus tech was supposed to come in October but I just got a letter saying that they will come soon.  Still waiting.

DesignedByDave
Resident

Looks like the Arris VIP5662W isn't playing nice with my setup. Arris VIP5662W > HDMI Splitter (to boost signal strength according to the contractor that wired up my house) > in-wall HDMI thru Cat5e/6 > HDMI > Sharp Roku TV (not 4k). I intermittently get a black screen when I turn on my TV or leave the input source, as a result, I'll need to reboot my PVR. 

I can spot two points of failure and it's likely the HDMI Splitter or the HDMI thru Cat5e/6. The only reason why I needed the splitter because the HDMI thru cat5e/6 wall plug is passive; therefore, it needed a "boost." The distance is relatively short and I can probably get away running a 25' HDMI cable in the wall and leave the old cabling there if I need it in the future. 

rb88
Connector
That’s an odd appointment system, don’t they book a specific time and date? And not just say soon lol
vishwa
Ambassador

It is now set for Next Thursday.  I will request the tech to change the PVR and see if it works. If not, I will just stay with the Arris.  I have a lot of recordings on it.  Don't want to lose it for nothing. Will update next week.

rb88
Connector
I had a tech out today to switch me to Fibre, I specifically requested a new trechbicolor box buy ledcor didn’t bring one. What an upset
Highlighted
vishwa
Ambassador

That is disappointing.  Will they come back?

rb88
Connector
I’m gonna have to call into telus and ask them to send A telus tech with a Technicolor box, the ledcor guy said they don’t have those in stock anywhere. But maybe I will wait until after Thursday to see if this box even resolves the problem for you.
vishwa
Ambassador

I will update on Thursday after the install.  

vishwa
Ambassador

Update: Got fibre installed.  Everything went well.  However, the technician didn't have the new Technicolor boxes yet.  He said it will be sometime in December. So, I will have to wait for another 3-4 weeks.

rb88
Connector
Thanks for the reply
joncampbell
Resident

I got Telus Optik this week and they gave me a 4K Arris PVR which works great when I have it hooked up to my 10 year old Viewsonic 1080 tv using HDMI.

When I try to run the Telus Optik through my brand new Pioneer VSX-531-K (4k compatible) receiver then no video comes through to my tv. All my other HDMI sources going through the receiver work great but the Optik just doesn't work. I don't really want to go get a new 4K tv yet, maybe in a few months. Hopefully they can fix this with a firmware update on the box.

Jamiebe
Resident

I wish I had read this thread before I purchased a new 4k receiver.  I have the same error with a Sony 4k receiver.  I spent an hour on the phone with both telus and sony and no one had any answers for me.  It sounds like it is more of a telus problem than a receiver problem, as every other device I have hooked up to my receiver has worked perfectly.

I found 2 less than ideal solutions but both require another piece of equipment. 

My first thought was to hook it up to an hdmi switch and then use an optical cable for sound.  This did work, but I bought the receiver to eliminate the hdmi switch.

Another solution is to use an xbox one to watch cable.  You can hook the hdmi cord from the cable box directly to the xbox one and then connect the hdmi from the xbox one to the receiver.  I did this and the video and audio seem to work perfectly.

Hope this helps.  

vishwa
Ambassador

While they can certainly fix the problem, it is not very likely.  If the problem existed from day one it is natural to hope that the next update will fix it.  In this case, the feature was working fine and the update broke it.  Telus is well aware of this.  There have been at least two more(possibly 3) updates and the problem persists and the first line from Telus Tech support is that if you connect it directly to TV it works.

This is not caused by Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer or Sony.  This happened right after the update on the Arris boxes.  Not sure exactly who is responsible.  I am hoping that the newer Technicolor box would work through these modern AVR systems.  We will know next month as those boxes will be deployed in December. 

Phaelen
Neighbour

Telus replaced my digital boxes with 4k boxes today.  The PVR is an Arris but the wireless STB are all technicolor.  I'm sorry to report with my Denon receiver which has a sticker right on it that says HDCP 2.2/4K I get the error message and the tech connected it to my TV which completely defeats the purpose.  I moved the PVR to the receiver and same result. 

I'll try the workaround with connecting Telus through the XBox but I hope Telus fixes this as for power saving reasons I'd rather not have my Xbox powered on just to watch TV.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you try an 4K splitter, which I suggested in July.

Traqr
Resident
I have an Onkyo TX-NR747 with the same behavior. Safe to say this is an issue with the PVR not downgrading to HDCP 1.x for 1080p output when any HDCP 2.2 device is available in the chain.
vishwa
Ambassador

My last hope now is on the new Technicolor UIW8001 PVR.  Hoping that it may solve the HDCP error issue.  It should be out soon and the Tech who installed Fibre promised he will upgrade the PVR as soon as he gets stock.  It should happen soon.  I will update as soon as I get that.  If that doesn't work, then there is not much else.  I don't think Telus will ever fix it as they have know about this for quite a while.

rb88
Connector
This is not good news, I was hoping the Technicolor would fix this!

@vishwa i doubght the pvr will be any different from the wireless stbs, seems like I’ll just have to buy a 4K tv soon, luckily for me I have a non 4K wireless box which works fine through my Sony received