Mahogany Community expression plans discussion

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

valiaig
Advocate

tart Okay, we recently purchased a new house in Mahogany and moving there on April 2nd. So I was forced to cancel my services with TELUS. Today I also managed to find out there is no service box for TELUS at all. There are conduits coming to the house but the area doesn't have service box for TELUS at all. Non-existent if you will. WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?

Don't start dilemma that in some ways Shaw is better than TELUS. It's not.

1. TELUS  has unbeatable speeds that are symmetric thanks to pure fibre nodes 
  2. TELUS has 4K TV 
  3. TELUS adds more traffic to customer connection if you order TV service from them adding 50 Mbit/sec (depending on how many TV boxes you have in your house) 
  4. TELUS has better  loyalty team is also amazing (at least in terms of customer respect and acknowledging customers loyalty 
  5. TELUS  has better promotions 

The reason why I  am partially angry. I disappointed because I  can't move my services there and the fact that one of my TELUS tech friends told me that state of affairs in terms of Infrastructure is even worse than I thought and I was hoping Tech Support & Loyalty team were wrong. Because its typical for field technicians know more than people on the phone at TELUS do.

Unfortunately, I find out that m street not only doesn't have an infrastructure,  it doesn't have services boxes at all there for TELUS. I want you guys to fix that because Mahogany Lakeside living is the best communities in Calgary to live in and not having you there is, to say the least strange. It will be at torture current and future residents including myself there. As I am sure you well aware how Shaw operates usually.  I already had an experience talking with disrespectful Shaw customers service when I called them, while not knowing that Welcome Home team and actual sales department operates separately. I don't like the fact that there is no TELUS one bit.

Please, guys, start working on wire Masters Way SE street there, not just for me but for everyone who lives in the community. People must have the right to choice and competition should remain healthy.

The developer of the Mahogany community is Hopewell Homes to make it easier for TELUS to make it happen. If TELUS needs any additional information I will be happy to share.

To summarize the problem:

• Conduit in the house for TELUS connections does exist inside the house.
  • Service box for TELUS not Installed.
Spoiler
Please make this discussion sticky and I would love TELUS update this discussion as they progress through the issue.

Community Power User
Community Power User

This is a user driven forum, and Telus does not / will not announce plans for infrastructure updates here.

It sounds like you are in a neighbourhood where Shaw got the franchise from the developer to install telecommunications services. The deregulation of telecommunications services has created some interesting situations, unfortunately not all palatable. You can add your interest in obtaining Fibre in your neighbourhood here. Solicit your neighbours to do the same.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
valiaig
Advocate

But that parts ways with CRTC  consumer protection policy isn't it? Can I actually file a complaint with CRTC for community builder and Shaw precedent? 

Community Power User
Community Power User

When I plug various addresses on Masters Way SE (from MLS listings) into the Telus website, it is indicating there is service on that road up to 75mbps internet at present. Fibre appears to be in place on Masters Blvd SE but those are older houses. It's possible the developer may not have let Telus have access to the house to run lines. There are brand new areas in Edmonton here where Shaw is the only provider in some and Telus as the only provider in others. Over time both providers eventually provide service if access is granted.

CRTC won't deal with this issue. If the lines aren't there and access wasn't granted by the homebuilder because they prefer (or got paid by) Shaw, it's just a matter of getting the line run to the house and the demarcation box installed. You'd need an installer from Telus for that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
valiaig
Advocate

Oh, community developer will hate that because they will get burned for that. With community fee of 700$ and up a year I think there will be a lot of pissed people that service isn't there or the right of choice. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

@valiaigwrote:

the right of choice. 

There is no 'right of choice' in telecommunications. For decades, telephone and cable were separate services, and your choice was take it or leave it. Now with the merging of technologies, both Telus and Shaw offer the full suite of products. If a developer cuts a deal with one carrier over another - a very likely happening in a de-regulated industry, then there may well only one option for services. There is no requirement for competitors to step in. We are seeing the same with wireline services - there are locations where telephone, TV and internet are ONLY available through wireless connection. There is no requirement to offer landlines, etc. any more to those locations.

NFtoBC
valiaig
Advocate

There is no 'right of choice' in telecommunications. For decades, telephone and cable were separate services, and your choice was to take it or leave it. Now with the merging of technologies, both Telus and Shaw offer the full suite of products. If a developer cuts a deal with one carrier over another - a very likely happening in a de-regulated industry, then there may well only one option for services. There is no requirement for competitors to step in. We are seeing the same with wireline services - there are locations where telephone, TV and internet are ONLY available through a wireless connection. There is no requirement to offer landlines, etc. anymore to those locations.

Smiley Surprised you must be joking. Here is a statement from CRTC  On top of things I consider Shaw one of rudest companies in Canada after Rogers, but still, plus I own Fintech company that will kick-off ICO soon and Shaw won't be able to handle our services as their infrastructure weak to have us.   What can I do if my Internet speeds are not fast enough?

If you’re unhappy with your current speeds, you are free to switch Internet service providers (ISPs). They are ultimately responsible for the equipment they provide, their billing and marketing practices, their quality of service and customer relations. If you have issues with your ISP, you should contact their customer service department and escalate your concerns up to the manager level (if necessary). Otherwise, we suggest you contact the Commission for Complaints about Telecom-television Services (CCTS).

Community Power User
Community Power User

@valiaigwrote:

I own Fintech company that will kick-off ICO soon and Shaw won't be able to handle our services as their infrastructure weak to have us.   What can I do if my Internet speeds are not fast enough?

My suggestion would be to operate your business from a location where the necessary infrastructure is available. Once upon a time it was access to raw materials and docks, then railways, then highways, now telecommunications. You set up shop where the needed resources are available to you.

@valiaigwrote:

Here is a statement from CRTC: If you’re unhappy with your current speeds, you are free to switch Internet service providers (ISPs). They are ultimately responsible for the equipment they provide, their billing and marketing practices, their quality of service and customer relations. If you have issues with your ISP, you should contact their customer service department and escalate your concerns up to the manager level (if necessary). Otherwise, we suggest you contact the Commission for Complaints about Telecom-television Services (CCTS).

Some locations in Canada have no ISP, or access only by satellite internet (eg. xplornet). Many, like you, have access to only one option. Some still have only 6 Mbps ADSL, and from a single ISP. There is no legislated requirement of ANY ISP to provide service to a location, and definitely no expectation on the part of the government to cause ISP to provide competitive services in every location. The various ISP are only subject to the quote you posted once they offer service in a location. As a matter of fact, both Telus and Shaw in western Canada specifically avoid competing with some smaller local ISP, as to do so would put them out of business.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
valiaig
Advocate

Just received notice from TELUS Fibre team that my home getting connected in a few weeks. Surprisingly it will be FTTH `connection and not FTTN my guess is that because my single-family house is newly built and near the electrical box. Smiley Happy 

They will pay any consolation first with Shaw Shaw suck big time over last 6 weeks I had  8 disconnects and modem reboots every night TV boxes reboot every day at intervals between midnight and 3 am. Good thing I have promotional discounts until October. But since after the fact I will be paying 70$ more than a top tear of TELUS PureFibre Plans. with Unlimited usage and symmetric speeds. I can't wait to say SAYANARA to Shaw. Unacceptable because of the call it most advanced service... 

FYI: Alberta has strongest fibre lines in Canada as its first province where Fibre Network was ever tested in Canada,

Plus: 
Alberta has only  80,000 customers who were using a provincial minimum of 5 Mbit/ sec as of 2013.
Apparently, in Alberta ISPs can't provide speeds less than that and in 2020 minimum is set to increase to 25 Mbit/sec.

Source: Cybera Alberta report  & Provincial Government Legislation archives.  

valiaig
Advocate

UPDATE:  Looks like TELUS marked spots for fibre drops! How long it takes after this to landscaping guys to come  and start digging 

Yellow - Gas line 
Red - City of Calgary Fibre (usually unused and dark fibre line)  and Enmax power lines 
Orange - Telus Fibre 

Why on my property line there are 2 drops while neighbours have 1 each? 

IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0002.JPG