MLB Extra Innings

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

mboggles
Resident

This year I switched from Shaw to TELUS, after being with Shaw for about 15 years. One of the main reasons I did it, was because TELUS offered MLB Extra Innings. I thought it would work the same at TELUS, as it does with DirecTV. At DirecTV you are giving your choice of either the home or away feeds, and all games are shown. TELUS has been greatly disappointing so far. TELUS only has 11 channels dedicated to MLB Extra Innings (1301-1311) whereas DirecTV has about 30. TELUS only shows the home team's feed. This is hugely annoying. I love listening and watching my team's announcers. I don't want to listen or watch the other team's feeds for half the games.

DirecTV is one of the many cable providers that allows you to link your MLB Extra Innings account to an MLB.TV account. TELUS does not do this. I was going to buy MLB.TV, which is cheaper than Extra Innings, but wanted the extra clarity that comes with watch a non-streamed feed. If I'm out I'll still like the game on. Tonight it would make a big difference, as TELUS isn't even showing all of the games on TV. There are only 4 games on tonight, and they are only showing 3. This is unacceptable.

TELUS needs to offer all the feeds and link to MLB.TV. If they aren't willing to do that, they need to reduce the price and inform people how it is different than the States.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

DirecTV is an American provider. There are going to be different rules in the USA than in Canada. MLB may also have special agreements with DirecTV that they won't offer to other providers, especially foreign ones (Canada). Not all channels will be approved by the CRTC for broadcast in Canada either. 

Also, blackouts are required and determined by the Major League Baseball organization, enforced by the broadcast networks and executed by the cable and satellite service providers.

Every television service provider in North America, including Telus, must comply with the same blackout rules. The blackouts can vary from team to team.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
mboggles
Resident

How this issue was marked as solved is as bad as the Extra Innings package offered by TELUS. I know DirecTV is an American provider. I also know how blackouts work. The game in question was not blacked out. The only games in Canada that are blacked out are Toronto games. Every single other game is available to be shown. The blackout area in Canada hasn't changed in decades.

Another huge issue with Extra Innings is the quality. The feed looks like a standard definition channel. If you watch a game on TELUS Extra Innings versus one on TSN/Sportsnet/TBS/etc. the difference is shocking. On the regular channels the games are definitely in HD. On Extra Innings, it's horrific. Either the compression is off, or they actually are using a standard definition feed. It's bad when you can stream the games over wifi and get a much more clear picture. I definitely will not be getting Extra Innings this year.

Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

I'll be leaving Telus next year, due to this MLB Extra Innings issue.  Previously I've been with Rogers and never had this issue.  Paying to see all the games and only being able to see half?  You're bull**bleep** Telus.  See ya later.

Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

Even worse is the way that Telus manages the few channels they have dedicated for MLB Extra Innings.  They have channels sitting dormant, no game scheduled until the evening, when they could be using to show matinee game.  Holy crap Telus.  Do you care one iota about your customer?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus does not control the content aired on any channel. Depending on the game MLB has given the rights to air some of them to specific other channels. If you have complaints about the availability of content, you'll want to complain to MLB as well as the broadcasters.

Blackout restrictions: Nationally-broadcast Toronto Blue Jays games and Sunday Night Baseball are not made available on Extra Innings and are available on Sportsnet and TSN2 respectively. All remaining televised games, including Major League Baseball on Fox, ESPN Major League Baseball and Major League Baseball on TBS are shown without exclusivity. Chicago Cubs and White Sox games broadcast on WGN-TV and New York Mets games on WPIX-TV are not blacked out. Out-of-market and shared territory games that air on Sportsnet's regional feeds are not blacked out, but may be subject to improper use of the simultaneous substitution rules.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Extra_Innings#Blackout_restrictions

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

Eastlink, Rogers and Bell don't have the issue that you do so perhaps it's Telus that needs that take up the issue with MLB.  Nice try though.  See ya Telus.  Bye, bye.

@Nighthawk wrote:

Blackout restrictions: Nationally-broadcast Toronto Blue Jays games and Sunday Night Baseball are not made available on Extra Innings and are available on Sportsnet and TSN2 respectively. All remaining televised games, including Major League Baseball on Fox, ESPN Major League Baseball and Major League Baseball on TBS are shown without exclusivity. Chicago Cubs and White Sox games broadcast on WGN-TV and New York Mets games on WPIX-TV are not blacked out. Out-of-market and shared territory games that air on Sportsnet's regional feeds are not blacked out, but may be subject to improper use of the simultaneous substitution rules.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Extra_Innings#Blackout_restrictions

Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

My advice to other MLB fans...don't purchase MLB ExtraInnings from Telus.  Switch to Rogers, EastLink or Shaw if you want the full value of the package and WAY more games.  Telus only gives you limited games via MLB ExtraInnings and has absolutely no interest in understanding or correcting the issue.

Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

September's here.  Good night for some pennant run baseball that I've paid for.  I think that I'll watch the Red Sox.  Nope says Telus.  OK, I'll watch the Cleveland.  Nope, says Telus.  Renew next year?  Nope, says I.  What a rip off.  Telus, deliver what you sell!

Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

And stop blaming MLB and blackout policies.  They do not apply to the Extra Innings package.  Try understanding the issue and take corrective steps rather than pasting template answers.  

Melonville
Friendly Neighbour

Great Rookie of the Year match up this aft between Juan Soto & Ronald Acuna.  Telus' slate of channels dedicated to MLB Extra Innings is wide open yet once again the game is not available to be seen.  Telus strikes again.  Real happy about my purchase.  And yes Telus, it's all MLB's fault, blah, blah, blah. I'll head to my friend's house and watch it on Eastlink, because they give a crap about what they sell their customers.