Kodi Blocking on Home Network

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

jdowsett
Advocate

Is there any articles on blocking the live tv / streaming functions of Kodi?  I realize this is maybe an addon by addon problem.   Anyone tried yet?

Community Power User
Community Power User

I've never done live TV with Kodi before. I've streamed content from my NAS before though on it without issue. Are you using the basic Actiontec or do you have your own router? (Easier with own router) I have my own router that I'm using for it connected to the Actiontec. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Community Power User
Community Power User

Easiest way would be to block the actual IP of the website it connects to via the modem. (essentially the addons just scrape web pages for links) If it's your own Kodi device you control what addons are placed on the device. You can use the built in parental controls of KODI to limit addons as well. Plenty of guides floating around the net for it.

I just use my playon server and roku to stream my backed up content of blu ray and dvds

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

If it's an issue.... uninstall the software.

With VPN usage... it's hard to block an IP.

Community Power User
Community Power User
The servers ip don't change. VPN won't circumvent that. Most those so called addons maybe use 20-30 url

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
jdowsett
Advocate

thanks everyone I managed to get the urls blocked on the action tech for most of the scrapers.    It took it down to a dull roar and will always be a bit cat and mouse but will do the trick for now.

Community Power User
Community Power User
Good work on the URL blocking. Scrapers in general are easy to block because of that.

Have a great weekend.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@jdowsett wrote:

thanks everyone I managed to get the urls blocked on the action tech for most of the scrapers.    It took it down to a dull roar and will always be a bit cat and mouse but will do the trick for now.

Can you provide a bit of detail and background for folks who might be unfamiliar with the issue you were trying to address? Also if you could give some idea of the steps you took to arrive at a resolution, it would be valuable for others in the future.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
jdowsett
Advocate

Unfortunately I spoke too soon and without much knowledge of Kodi at the time - which is still limited.  

1) Live TV apparently comes from an addon that talks to your PVR (Telus in my case).   So it not REALLY an issue as it seem to just mimic a Digital Box - however it could knock you over your stream limit on your Telus profile and cause issues.  

2) The bandwidth / legal issues come from addons that maintain a list of streams available on the internet free of charge.  I will update as I dig into these further.   Blocking URLs helps somewhat but you can use a ZIP package to install if the URL is blocked.  Not if blocking URLs for addons just blocks the install or the resulting functionality. 

Will get back to you on success and fail and some steps followed as I try - but have some "bigger fish" this week.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Kodi is just a scraper and gets pointed to links with a GUI. Kodi does NOT talk to your Telus PVR. It has absolutely nothing to do with that aspect. KODI is it's own thing that uses your Internet connection only!

Kodi Live TV the majority is pirated streams (grey area for content as they lead you to believe) it's far from legal (loop hole in countries like Canada is old copyright laws on streaming). There is some legal content but not that much. (mainly news, and music video channels) Many countries overseas such as the UK there are raids on those providing these so called "Free" streams. There is already a pending court case in Canada and the laws will change on the outcome as it's a slam dunk case what these "fully loaded" boxes are doing.

Curious what you're trying to accomplish are you providing free WIFI to people in a rental and consuming bandwidth? Because modem side it's easy to kill kodi from working and talking to the net.

jdowsett
Advocate

@WestCoasterBC

Comments / questions red within:

WestCoasterBC wrote:

Kodi is just a scraper and gets pointed to links with a GUI. Kodi does NOT talk to your Telus PVR. It has absolutely nothing to do with that aspect. KODI is it's own thing that uses your Internet connection only! 

Good to know I must have read wrong / misunderstood / maybe an addon that actually does that.  So that's actually not good at all.

Kodi Live TV the majority is pirated streams (grey area for content as they lead you to believe) it's far from legal (loop hole in countries like Canada is old copyright laws on streaming). There is some legal content but not that much. (mainly news, and music video channels) Many countries overseas such as the UK there are raids on those providing these so called "Free" streams. There is already a pending court case in Canada and the laws will change on the outcome as it's a slam dunk case what these "fully loaded" boxes are doing.

I completely agree with you.

Curious what you're trying to accomplish are you providing free WIFI to people in a rental and consuming bandwidth? Because modem side it's easy to kill kodi from working and talking to the net.

Thanks for asking:

I have certain members of my household that have admin access to their PC's and have installed Kodi and are streaming.  I could REMOVE the application but for peace and harmony I would rather just block it and they go back to services already allowed / vetted.

I have an action tec v1000.   And have tried blocking URLs that are inputted into the GUI to install addons that then present content to view in Kodi.

Question:   Does blocking these URLs prevent just install of the addons?  Do I have to input every URL for every addon or is there a port I can block?

I have not done any monitoring /wiresharking but if you have an easy kill for Kodi please post.

thanks for reply

Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you seen this discussion on Small Net Builder?

Or, you might discuss a 'Terms of Service' with your users, removing privileges if behaviour is inappropriate. You could also block certain services to specific MAC addresses using parental controls, either on your router, or through a third party service.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
jdowsett
Advocate

@NFtoBC - I have looked at that exact thread.   Basically its wireshark to se what you can block.  I was looking for a silver bullet not a whack a mole approach addon by addon. 

Mk4
Connector

Im a little confused as to what you are trying to accomplish here, but if you want to block Kodi from ALL internet access you can setup scheduled access in the Actiontech. It will still be able to access the internal network for streaming from a NAS etc..

jdowsett
Advocate

@Mk4 - How would you go about blocking internet access only Kodi running on a Windows PC?  Any help appreciated.  thxs

Mk4
Connector
Using the actiontech method I mentioned earlier, you would have to block Internet access to the whole PC. To do this, you have to first create a DHCP reservation for the mac address of the PC running kodi. This is done in the Actiontech's advanced setup. Then under firewall settings, you can set up scheduled access and deny access 24/7.

Alternatively, if you know or can find out what ports kodi uses to stream or connect to its servers, you can block these in Windows Advanced firewall. Windows Advanced firewall also has app specific settings you can tinker with.
jdowsett
Advocate

@Mk4 - Yeah that what I figured you were going to say - can't block access for whole PC.  Also I believe it uses common web ports for streaming from what I have read but will need to look at some traffic with wire shark first.  Don't want to modify PC settings if I don't have to.   thanks for the stab.

Mk4
Connector
Windows Advanced Firewall is very powerful. You can also block according to application. Thought you might find this interesting http://www.cm3solutions.com/block-ip-address-ip-range-using-windows-firewall/

You should be able to allow only access to you local network, for kodi only