cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Microfilters?

Shane
Leader

Greetings,

I have a bunch of DSL filters. Do I have to keep these? Can I throw them out?

Thanks,

Shane.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Depends if they are being used. If you have fibre, they're not needed. If you have DSL and no POTS splitter installed, they will be needed. Telus has pretty much switched from the filters to the POTS splitters as they more effectively isolate the phone jack the modem is connected to. If Telus installed one in the house, the filters won't typically be needed anymore.

An example of a POTS splitter: (Telus installed this model in my place)

Blue splitter

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Depends if they are being used. If you have fibre, they're not needed. If you have DSL and no POTS splitter installed, they will be needed. Telus has pretty much switched from the filters to the POTS splitters as they more effectively isolate the phone jack the modem is connected to. If Telus installed one in the house, the filters won't typically be needed anymore.

An example of a POTS splitter: (Telus installed this model in my place)

Blue splitter

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you don't need them anymore - drop them at your local electronics recycler.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I'm not on fibre.

The wall outlet has separate jacks for phone and DSL. The filters aren't being used.

Shane.

If the outlet has 2 jacks on the same plate and they are designated for phone and modem then there is most likely a POTS splitter somewhere. If you are in a condo/apartment it may be installed behind the main phone jack in a living room or bedroom. If your home has an electrical panel it is probably mounted there next to the termination block where all the phone lines in the house meet up. You do not need those old microfilters anymore.

I'm in a condo. The outlet has two jacks on the same plate. I don't know where the splitter might be.

Thanks for your help.

Shane.

YouNoIt
Coach

Throw them out unless you still have DSL easy answer