cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is boost wifi compatible with other routers

BCResident
Friendly Neighbour
Will boost wifi work with routers from other providers if I have to leave Telus at some point. Also how would I set up. Does the boost system just name itself to match the name of the router it is plugged into? I ask this as I would not be able to use the app if I were to leave telus. Thank you for the help

ASD
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@BCResident wrote:
If you do set up the SSID that is different I'm assuming you would then turn off the wifi of the router, correct? And thank you for the quick reply.

Nope! The original SSID in my network still connects to Optik TV, so it can still be left on.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually you set up the Boost Device with its own SSID, but it could be the same as that of the router to which it is connected.

There is an interface accessible through the IP address assigned by your router. The phone App may not work without a Telus login,  but the on-device interface should continue to work without a Telus login.

There are also other mesh Wi-Fi systems you could install independent of an ISP.

NFtoBC

BCResident
Friendly Neighbour
If you do set up the SSID that is different I'm assuming you would then turn off the wifi of the router, correct? And thank you for the quick reply.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@BCResident wrote:

Nope! The original SSID in my network still connects to Optik TV, so it can still be left on.

NFtoBC

BCResident
Friendly Neighbour

@NFtoBC wrote:

@BCResident wrote:

Thank you for all the help and I apologize for the delay in getting back.

BCResident
Friendly Neighbour

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to know if me using Ethernet to connect all of my boost devices cause an issue. I'm thinking issues could be caused by devices fighting to be primary. I just want to make sure and see if anyone has tried this before. I have to terminate the Ethernet at my house before I can test which is why I am asking here. Thank you for all the help. 

Kind Regards,

ASD