cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Outage in New Westminster, BC

NewWestCustomer
Friendly Neighbour

My internet service started to drop last Tuesday, June 12, 2018. Yes, that's right. 7 days of unreliable services from TELUS and different versions of why the signal is dropping. Until Sunday, the 17th, I was told there's an outage in the area since Saturday, June 16th. Called in five (5) times so far and not a single person can tell me the 'cause' of outage and when the service will be back on...

Is there a 'terms and conditions' somewhere in  my contract that says if TELUS cannot perform...I get to cancel the contract and take my money somewhere else???

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Unless you received a bonus (eg. Free TV) at signup, there are no preconditions on your contract.

However, the reason may be challenging to determine, depending on the cause. In situations where the issue is not widespread, it may come down to your individual connection. Have you requested a Tech visit and assessment?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thank you for the reply and no I did not receive any bonus to continue my internet service from TELUS.

Regarding the cause to service disruption, I was given the following reasons:

1) TELUS cannot identify my modem (it shows up as 'unknown')...I was looking at the modem TELUS supplied several years ago with their sticker still on the modem and scratch my head...interesting reason. After I read the model number back to the rep. she was able to re-connect my service. 

2) On the same day, 12 hours later, no internet again so I called the second time. The reason for dropped signal was 'It is a software issue that TELUS is experiencing and the rep. was going to monitor my account for 7 days. I had to reset the modem again and wait for the signal to come back.

3) Five days after my first call, the signal was very unstable, so I called for the third time. Guess what, the rep. I talked to this time said, it cannot be a software issue and there must be something wrong on site... Well, I did not come up with the 'Software Issue' diagnosis. At this time the signal disruption was happening every few hours.

4) On Sunday, the signal was on 'live support'...very weak and I tried to chat with someone from TELUS website and was told there's an outage reported in my area 'New Westminster' since Saturday, the 16th. Before I can get more information out of the rep. the internet went out again...

5) Yesterday, I called after work in the evening to get an update and was told no update and outage reason unknown...blah...blah...blah.

7 days with no solution...my disappointment with TELUS is beyond words.

As @NFtoBC has asked, have you requested a repair technician yet? Outages are resolved quickly. Hours usually. It's extremely doubtful you are experiencing an area outage if it lasts this long.

You also misunderstood the word bonus. It was in reference to a bundle deal which included a TV. Not a bonus to continue service. If the service was not working properly, you could try request a credit though. But first, call and request a repair tech before asking for any credit.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks Nighthawk, and yes I did request for a repair technician to come out last Saturday, but was cancelled by the second representative I spoke to because he believe it was an internal issue at TELUS end. Now I have booked another appointment for the coming Saturday. The thing I don't understand is that if this 'outage' is an isolated issue at my location, then why are they keep saying the whole area 'New Westminster' has an outage issue? 

That I do not know. I do find the field techs to be quite helpful and informative though. Hopefully the one you get on Saturday can clarify some things for you.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Agree, the issues I have so far are with the TELUS internal team and I have always had good services from the field team, which most of them are not 'TELUS' employees but on contract. Fingers and toes crossed...

Latest update:

Checked my account at work yesterday, and saw no active appointment listed for my 'upcoming' appointment confirmed via email sent by TELUS. So, I chatted with a representative online and was told the appointment has been cancelled by the representative who told me about the outage. Good thing I checked my account, otherwise I would've been waiting all morning on Saturday for the technician. I give TELUS internal tech/customer support a big 'F' for failure to inform customer of appointment cancellation. 

canucks4life
Leader

I've had issues as well the past couple weeks also in New West losing bonded sync late night usually around 1am.