cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet - Live Streaming capabilities of Telus Fiber, worth the change?

Apollo
Neighbour

Good day everyone,

So to summarise my ongoing issues, I am with another provider and have been getting major issues with stable upload speeds when I LiveStream to Twitch, YouTube and Mixer. After weeks of painful back and forth troubleshooting, I have been told there are no issues and it is everyone but the ISP. The ISP forums are reporting tons of issues related to this 

Are there any Telus moderators or Telus users that can describe there experience with Telus Fiber and if I will have similar issues? I did a quick search of the forums and it seems like there were no complaints or issues. I have heard rumor and been cautioned about throttling but even throttling a 300 Mbps upload speed would be faster than the "20" I am supposed to get now...

What I need to LiveStream like I used to is a stable upload of 6000 kbps, no packet loss...this should not be hard to get these days but it seems like it is an issue constantly...

Please advise, feeling ripped off and frustrated and considering trying something new even if it costs me...

11 REPLIES 11

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have not seen any evidence of throttling, but some servers can only deliver / accept data at slower rates, due to their connection and loading.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Hi @NFtoBC, Thanks for replying. When you refer to servers are you referring to the Twitch ingest servers? If so, my only confusion with that would be they post a recommended upload speed for a certain quality on their website. Would be very strange for the ingest server to not be able to handle their recommended speed...

If you are referring to Telus servers or other ISPs, the problem occurred suddenly this past Sunday while the past 2 months have been flawless. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Apollo

No specific servers. Just that some folks who get high speed internet are disappointed that the sites they use are not faster by the multiplier of their new speed vs. old speed. Moving from 15 Mbps to 300 Mbps does not necessarily mean your online experience speeds 20-fold.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC

Totally fair point and I appreciate you answering. 

In an attempt to be more clear, I would not be looking for 20x faster and uploading at 100% of maximum capacity. I hear what you are saying and the 300 Mbps isn't what is the driving factor for me right now.

I am really just looking for stability which appears to be the root of my problem. I do not know if my ISP throttles near the end of the month or what is happening. I don't even know what could be causing the issue so suddenly but I cannot even stream at the 1000 kbps of unstable upload I am getting right now. When at this time last month I was streaming on Halloween night at a perfect 6000 kbps for a solid 4 hours straight. 

I guess my main question is if anyone has had stability issues with Telus streaming to Twitch. I would be happy with 20 or 300 Mbps or anything between so long as it held the stream steady and didn't drop frames or bitrate. 

Telus never throttles upload speeds and the symmetrical download/upload speeds that Fibre provides are perfect for streaming. I know of a few fairly big name Twitch streamers who are on the Telus Fibre network and they have talked about it openly on stream saying they have had nothing but good consistent service. If your concern is stability and potential throttling you should have nothing to worry about if you switch to Fibre.

The telus tv uses your internet bandwidth and i don't care what telus says they do and telus charges you for it if you go over your cap you get charged so if you want a better guide and better tv stick with shaw or get streaming direct tv from USA the best out there .I have Telus for few weeks and i do not like one bit of it .

@YouNoItPureFibbre has no data caps.  ou can send signalsto Mars and wont recieve aestra charges for it

@YouNoIt wrote:

The telus tv uses your internet bandwidth and i don't care what telus says they do and telus charges you for it if you go over your cap you get charged so if you want a better guide and better tv stick with shaw or get streaming direct tv from USA the best out there .I have Telus for few weeks and i do not like one bit of it .

@YouNoItPureFibre has no data caps.  You can send signals to Mars and wont receive extra  charges for it

Guide interface is actually better  at TELUS.

There is usually  10~20% downtime on Internet and TV services per month at Shaw

They implementing X1 Platform form Comcast, but they doing SO WRONG! (I have friend who works at Comcast USA he was laughing  so hard when he came to my home to test it while on vacation.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@valiaig,

I recall some of the non-Pure Fibre internet packages are offered without caps, but the Pure Fibre in my Neighbourhood is capped.

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.56.53 PM.png

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC wrote:

@valiaig,

I recall some of the non-Pure Fibre internet packages are offered without caps, but the Pure Fibre in my Neighbourhood is capped.

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.56.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 15.20.40.png

Technically it is but they ggive everyone unlimited usage for term of the contract Plus their cancellation is 15$ instead of 20$ on Shaw side. Than God Telus is covering it with additional 200$ credit.

you will find out the hard way they charge for over usage and they admit to it so if your ar with ShawCable stay ask for a better price and get more for your money Telus is not worth the game !! I am done playing waiting for a call back for over 3 days now from Telus .

@YouNoIt wrote:

you will find out the hard way they charge for over usage and they admit to it so if your ar with ShawCable stay ask for a better price and get more for your money Telus is not worth the game !! I am done playing waiting for a call back for over 3 days now from Telus .

Are you blind or something? I have added picture showing that new customers or those who switching back after 8 months of nightmare with Shaw get free unlimited usage add-on  free of charge. If you signed up too 2 weeks ago you have Unlimited usage too (if you are from Alberta)  In my case SHAW is complete Hell. I am currently on promo as I am with Shaw Welcome Home package but in 2 months I will be charged 235$ PLUS GST do the math. While TELUS is $197 with taxes included. Their BlueSky TV resets TV ratio after each firmware upgrade. Internet goes down 30% monthly each week. Wih Telus Fibre I had 10 minutes service cut=off for less than an hour twice in four years, not on monthly basis. Shaw's  latency and jotter
 is 15 times wider than Telus have. My security system resets and triggers tempering every time IP comera's reset due to slow uplink with Shaw.
Here take a look at this picture again:
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 15.20.40.png