How long until telus modems are updated?

giantbrownguy
Ambassador
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/severe-flaw-in-wpa2-protocol-leaves-wi-fi-tra...

If this is correct, it’s one of the craziest vulnerabilities out there. I imagine telus won’t bother updating their hardware but does anyone know if they’ve historically pushed out security updates?
Community Power User
Community Power User

Updates have been sent at irregular intervals for Telus Gateway devices. When, or if this will be patched is anyone’s guess.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User

The hardware isn't the problem. It's the software. It was only a matter of time before someone found a faster way to crack WPA2. Most routers likely won't get updated either as most end users rarely ever update the firmware on their devices. The advantage of the Telus gateway is that updates are installed automatically once available.

I'd be more worried about anything running Android... The majority of devices won't get patched for this vulnerability.

Sergio
Resident

And can I check my router has been patched?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
giantbrownguy
Ambassador
From the way I read the Ars article, it reads like there would be a way to defeat the exploit in software. Hopefully it can be managed via a device software update, so we’re not reliant on router manufacturers. The scope of this is worrisome though as well. My biggest concern would be people roaming with hardware to intercept network traffic (i.e., to grab banking information from people on their home wifi networks).
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can just turn the "transmit power to it's lowest level" instead of beaming a strong signal. Unless the person is really close he couldn't even intercept the "signal". Now a days all the reason to be using VPNs.

Not to worried about the vulnerability, there are many others waiting to be discovered. Smiley Happy

giantbrownguy
Ambassador
Good news for Apple users:

https://m.imore.com/krack-wpa2-wi-fi-exploit-already-fixed-ios-macos-tvos-watchos-betas

If that’s the X.1 releases, they will likely go live in November.
katbel78
Helpful Neighbour

or to have  hidden SSID. If they don't see you it's better

katbel78
Helpful Neighbour

But Apple didn't say anything about patching Airport because they are not making those anymore , sadly

giantbrownguy
Ambassador

Possibly, but I also read that there were some routers that were unaffected by it. Some sites suggested the airport could be among them, though I imagine that's wishful thinking.

Most Helpful
Hubbmeister
Neighbour

Sergio wrote:

And can I check my router has been patched?

I assume it all depends on the model of router you have. I have a new installation with an Actiontec T1200H. You can check the update history for this device by logging in as administrator and then going to:

"Advanced Setup" -> "Upgrade History"

If you don't have an upgrade dated after 10/16/2017, then it hasn't been fixed.