cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do stop the wireless WF721 home phone from recordimg messages people leave?

Alith
Organizer

Hi. I would like to have my own answering machine record people's messages and play them back to me, not the WF721 system. How do I do that?

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Simple answer is to set the number of rings of your answering machine to fewer than the automated system, as there is no means to turn off the voicemail service on the WF721.

Here’s some info on changing the number of rings on a cellphone, which MAY or may NOT work on your device:

“The maximum wait is 30 seconds and the default is typically 25. Here are the instructions for how to adjust the timing though: (for android phones, although step 2 will work on any device) 1- Dial *#61# on your device. It should say something like this: Call Forwarding Voice: +########## after XX seconds The "+###..." is the number that calls are forwarded to- write this down. The "XX" is the amount of time a caller has to wait in seconds. 2- Dial **61*+##########*11*XX# with "+###..." being the number you wrote down, and "XX" being the new amount of time. Note that the amount of time can only be increased/decreased in 5 second intervals, i.e. you can enter "15" but not "26". You should get a "Network Message" saying something like this: Call Forwarding Registration was successful 3- Everything should now be set up! You can check by dialing *#61# and seeing how much time the caller has to wait, or calling the device and seeing how long you wait until voicemail.” -Timo Tukola, Koodo support forums 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thank you for your reply. I'm using a panasonic/answering machine home phone with my WF721. I turned my phone/answering system back on and it is now recording messages from people, but when people are leaving a message it's coming thru with all kinds of noise as it's recording. It didn't do this before I regrettably set up the WF721 for recording messages. 

Would the directions in your post work for a non cell phone? What are all the ###? The phone number?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Alith wrote:

...but when people are leaving a message it's coming thru with all kinds of noise as it's recording. It didn't do this before I regrettably set up the WF721 for recording messages. 

That's peculiar; the audio should be the same whether you answer or the answering machine does. Especially peculiar if it did not have any audio issues before. Is there a reset button on the device that might cure the problem?

Would the directions in your post work for a non cell phone? What are all the ###? The phone number?

I don't know for sure if it will work on the Wireless Home Phone. The ### referenced in point 1 is the number your phone forwards to when 'no answer' occurs. It is the number of Telus' voicemail system, and differs for each province. All I can suggest is to try it, and see if it works - I've no direct experience myself.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I can reset my panasonicc phone/answering machine by unplugging it. I might also try reducing the volume on the phone base/andswering machine. Perhaps it's set too loud.