How do I change wifi channels?

rhee208
Resident

My wifi speed has been dropping on a regular basis, ranging from 0.5-5 Mbps. How do I change wifi channels on the Telus router?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Login to the gateway at 192.168.1.254, then follow this diagram.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 1.55.14 PM.png

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Before changing channels... you might want to get an app like wifi analyzer to see what channels are available...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

SCo
Ambassador

Since you asked about changing channel, you must be cognizant of the signal interference caused by other radio signal emitting devices.  If changing channel does not help, you may want to consider switching to 5GHz band if you are close to the AP and your devices support it.

Changing channel does not help all the time because channel usage is shared by many, and other devices in your vicinity on auto channel select may sometimes share your selected channel from time to time.  it is a trial and error process.  Good luck.  

bryanleon23
Resident

Thanks for that, however is there any way to change the channel range? for example. I would like to use channel 6 because its a clear channel in my area. But the only options availlable are in the hundreds. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Channel 6 is only available to the 2.4 GHz band. The 5GHz band hosts higher channel numbers.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 1.46.52 PM.png

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"